Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How Often Did Your LO Nurse at 1 Year?

Default How Often Did Your LO Nurse at 1 Year?

I have questions for you experienced mothers. At what point did your lo dramatically cut back on their nursing sessions? Olivia is 12 months old now and only truly nurses well once a day.

She normally will wake around 8 am and she nurses very well and then goes back to sleep for a little while.

When she wakes up (normally around 10:30) she typically nurses for a few minutes.

At around 2pm she takes a nap and when she wakes up she initiates nursing, and then she nurses for an extremely short time before jumping down to the floor to play with her toys.

I drop her off at her babysitter at 4:30 and i do not see her again untill the next morning. (i work from 5pm until between 1-3:30am)

i pump at work, but i only am producing between 1-3 ounces of milk during my shift. DH gives her this milk at bedtime.

she is eating lots of solid foods so i am not worried about her starving or anything...i was just curious about whether or not this was common for her age. i am worried about losing my supply, although she always seems satisfied with the amount she receives when nursing.

Default Re: How Often Did Your LO Nurse at 1 Year?

My lo, born September 30, only nurses 3 times a day, but that probably is more mother led than baby led. When she's home with me, sometimes she'll nurse more often, but only for a few minutes at the most.

I think DS was on the other side of "normal" at 12 mos, so this probably won't help. He was still nursing every 2 hrs around the clock at 1 yr - at least 10X a day. He drastically cut the feedings down at 14 mos (about 5X/dy) when he started sleeping better and then slowing started losing a feeding here and there. Now, at 18 mos we are at 2-3X/dy (morning, sometimes nap and bedtime).

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

My daughter just turned 1 and she never asks to nurse anymore. I'm sure if I didn't offer 1-2 x per day, she wouldn't miss it.

Unfortunately, she hates cow's milk and formula, so I really want her to get as much breast time as she is willing to accept.

To the OP it sounds like you are meeting her needs with your feedings and she is taking solids.

DS is 15 months and still nurses about 6-8 times in 24 hour period and that has been reduced from 8-12 times.

Every mom cuts back on nursing at a different age. The baby will naturally cut back depending on how much solid food they're receiving accompanied by the other liquids they may be receiving also. You nursed 12 months, that's great! Now if you want to continue to nurse just do what you're already doing and offer bm at what ever schedule you can.
    Even if your lo only nurses a short time they still get the bonding and nutrition that is great for them. You've been a great mom and given your baby an excellent start.

I agree with everyone else. There is a huge range of "normal". My 3 have all been at the other end of the spectrum. My 4 year old probably nurses more than many 12 month olds and my 2 year old nurses at least 6-8 times a day.
    I think it is best to just look at your child. If she is well, growing and developing and producing plenty of wet and dirty diapers, then I reckon she's getting what she needs. Whether she's getting it in the exact same way as other people's babies doesn't really matter so much does it, as long as she is thriving? A combination of breastmilk and healthy solids is great for her at this stage.
    I think half of us worry our children are nursing too much, and the other half worry they're nursing too little. Actually they're mostly nursing just right, but "just right" is different for everyone.
    You have given her an excellent start with a year of breastmilk - well done!

thank you to everyone who responded. this stage is very confusing to me. i am considering not pumping at work anymore because my yield is so small. i just wasn't sure if it was to early to stop pumping and what other kids were doing at the same age.