Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood in the diaper. Please help I'm freaking out

Default Blood in the diaper. Please help I'm freaking out

Ok. I know that there are so many threads about this already so I"m really really sorry to be repeatative but with everything that is going on with me I can't seem to think straight and I'm FREAKING out right now.

Two weeks ago Sidney had some blood in her stool. I took her to the doctor and he said that it was fine but if it persisted to go in. Well it only happened after that like once every other day. Then today I have change three diapers with blood in them and the last one there was like a dime sized amount in one spot.
    I have a bad feeling right now that something is wrong. She has been acting strange lately and we thought that it was a cold or cough or something. Now I'm really worried it's something really wrong.

Any advice? Should I be calling the doctor's after hours line? Going to the hospital? Calming down?
    Last edited by WonderMum; October 3rd, 2007 at 08:51 PM.
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

Default Re: Blood in the diaper. Please help I'm freaking out

Try this link....it helped me out, that and frequenting the Allergy forum.... HTH

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bloodystool.html

I would call the ped tomorrow to have her looked over. Only because you said she has not been acting the same. It will ease your mind and your ped will be aware and might have an answer for you. If have another diaper with blood before you go to the ped. keep it and bring to the appt.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

is the blood bright red? bright red means there is a hemeroid usually... the dr. would check that first. Have you taken and anal temp before it started? Or used suppositories? Darker blood and blood you cant even see has to do with allergys. whatever you do, dont let your dr. switch to formula. not for permanent, anyway. If it is allergy, at least tell them you want to pump and dump till the allergen is gone... and then I still fed her most of the time... and we're all better now! mostly, anyway... lol

Don't freak out too much - definitely call the ped. I have also heard that if it is bright red blood then it is usually due to an anal fissure or something of the sort - and if it is darker red it could be allergy. Is she eating any solids at all? Is she on any other meds? Kaeden had blood in his stool after being put on antibiotics. Anyway, I would definitely check with the dr. and please let us know how things turn out!

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06

I second what the PPs said: call your ped. Its hard to gauge what is "bright" and what is "dark". One of the most common allergies for this is dairy. So in the mean time ('till you can get to the doctor) try eliminating things from your diet to see how baby reacts. Eliminate dairy first and see if that helps.