Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing to sleep impossible

Default Nursing to sleep impossible

Well, here I am. Bummer. I had it with dd and now I have it again. Only this time no nipple shield and no pacifier, so he gets the full brunt of my OS and my OALD. He wants to nurse to sleep, but after his 2 fussy periods at night and in the morning, its hard for him to fall asleep and he wants to suck for a really long time but he keeps getting overactive letdown after overactive letdown until he has had way too much milk and he spits up massive quantities and then wants back at the breast. I can't help but think that all this sucking will further exacerbate the problem. I want him to nurse to sleep--dd didn't and it was hell for months getting into a pattern where she would fall asleep. And, that's how he really wants to go to sleep, and can fall asleep that way most of the time.

I have been block feeding--only offering one breast for 2 hours and then the other for the next 2. Sometimes he nurses every 30 minutes, sometimes he goes 2 hours.

I am even further worried because I had low supply issues later in dd's first year, and I don't want to make a bad problem worse. This is unfortunate, but I would much rather have more milk than less.

His diapers are normal yellow seedy poops, not green, which makes me wonder how the heck my supply works exactly .

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: Nursing to sleep impossible

Erin, when are you going to start pumping to build a freezer stash? Could you pump at night before bedtime and then let him nurse? You'd be a little emptier and maybe that'd be a little bit of a relief for him?

Sorry I don't have sounder advice...I was hardcore babywise at the beginning with Shiloh, so I never experienced the nursing to sleep bit or nursing for comfort Next time though. Love ya kid, and I hope you get it figured out.

How's Miss Haylee doing? Adjusting any better?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

If you don't want to increase your block periods (to say 2.5 hrs or 3 hrs), have you tried nursing him in a more upright position or in the side lying position? That'll help him not get too much milk b/c it's working against gravity KWIM? I would think that if you had an oversupply to begin with, it wouldn't be too difficult to increase your milk supply if it decreased a little, esp. this early? Also, I think your LO will eventually learn to comfort suck (to sleep) without getting too much milk. I remember how badly I felt when I couldn't get her to comfort suck to sleep b/c she'd get mad when milk woudl come out. And, I remember how elated I was when my LO finally learned to comfort suck once my milk supply was better regulated.

I'm speaking from just my recent experience, and you probably know more than me already having done this, but I remember HATING having an oversupply and OALD (I was always engorged!), but it does get better once you get it under control. For me, it took a good 14 wks, but probably due to my lack of knowledge and support, initially.
    Last edited by cmp12345; October 3rd, 2007 at 09:49 PM.

sleep--dd didn't and it was hell for months getting into a pattern where she would fall asleep

i know how you feel. the advice about block feeding and the freezer stash sounds good. I dont have more for you as I am still wondering the same thing with my five month old. I hope to nurse past a year but am nervous she doesnt enjoy it. we have not started solids yet and dont plan to until the middle on next month. hang in there
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

If you're trying to down regulate your production, I would strongly urge against pumping. It might solve the problem for one particular feeding, but your milk will increase as a result.

My best suggestion is to further increase your blocks until you're at a comfortable level. Here's a helpful resource (that you've probably already read, but I'll post anyway ):
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

I agree about the pumping unless however you were looking to get your freezer stash inshape. I agree with pp however that maybe that could wait until you regulate your massive production
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Not sure if this will help you at all but i'ts a little "IME" moment - when we had to do block nursing I was going on 4-5 hour blocks. It's the only thing that helped us for months!!

God luck - I hope it all works out sooooon!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

did either of your little ones get frustrated once the OS situation started to resolve? seems like my lo is getting frustrated once the breast begins to soften. it's like he won't work for the hind milk bc he's so used to the strong rush of milk. thoughts??

are you totaly against the ppacifier?
    That helped with one of mine. He would suck untill He would throw up.
    But 3-4 sucks on the pacifier and he was out like a light..well for an hour or so...lol...
    He was my high needs baby, the nurses all said good luck when it was time to go home.
    MEan of them!

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by cevangel View Post
    did either of your little ones get frustrated once the OS situation started to resolve? seems like my lo is getting frustrated once the breast begins to soften. it's like he won't work for the hind milk bc he's so used to the strong rush of milk. thoughts??
    Don't worry. Initially, it may seem like your milk supply is low once your milk supply has regulated. But, eventually, you'll produce as much milk as your baby needs. My LO was initially frustrated b/c she had to work harder to get milk, but after a couple of days of that, my milk supply picked up again.