Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoking....

Default Smoking....

Ok I feel HORRIBLE about asking this. I'm under so much stress right now and I really want a cigarette. DD never learned to take a bottle or anything so it's not as if I can go have one and then just bottle feed her from my stash for a few feedings.

How bad is it really to smoke one cigarette? I'm sure that it will make me sick and I would take a shower afterwards and change and everything. I feel so so bad for even asking and being so weak.
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

Default Re: Smoking....

I would say go for it, it's one cigg and I think you really need it right now, with all that you are going through right now. And one isn't going to harm your DD.

to you Jackie If you have been able to refrain from a smoke so far, you can make it through this

But if you have to have one it is better for you to BF first and then have a smoke because it takes about 95 minutes for half of the nicotine to be eliminated from your body.

like pp said it takes a while for even half the nicotine to exit the body and we all know like any lurking addiction one leads to two and so on. can you get the jogging stroller out and go for a brisk walk, getting my sweat on always helps me. You will feel like crap after the ciggy and after a walk you can get those natural endorphins flowing. Hang in there
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Probably not that horrible, but do you REALLY want to have the smoke and risk starting up all over again?

Isn't it liberating to be smoke free?

My suggestion eat some chocolate and drink a glass of water.
    You are under a tremendous amount of stress, you should provide good things for your body to handle it. The cig will make you feel pukey anyways.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I've been tempted to have one, several times since DD #2 was born. BUT I refrain because I really don't want to open that can of worms...KWIM? So I totally understand the temptation/urge.
    If you can, try other things. But if you CANT resist, and DO have one...I suppose its not the worst thing you could do.

I think you should go for a huge piece of chocolate cake or a yummy sundae. Or pie, cupcake, chocolate covered anything, ect. One cigarette may not be too bad but it will most likely lead to more. I am so sorry you are going through a hard time, but if you feel this bad about yourself for thinking about doing it just think of how bad you will feel if you do it. It won't help you if it makes you feel bad.

Hey, I fight the "I need a cigarette" temptation at least once a day AND I'm not under half the stress you are under right now. So don't feel too bad for wanting that cigarette. But, fight the urge; go for the chocolate instead! Hang in there!!

just wanted to post that you're not alone in craving a cigarette. what helps me is thinking about how cigarettes don't actually relieve stress. think about the moment after you stub your cigarette out. you won't really feel better, will you?
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

Quote Originally Posted by notthenanny View Post
    just wanted to post that you're not alone in craving a cigarette. what helps me is thinking about how cigarettes don't actually relieve stress. think about the moment after you stub your cigarette out. you won't really feel better, will you?
    EXACTLY! Then you've just added more stress.