Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: for those making their own food

Default for those making their own food

I'm planning ahead for starting on meats. I'm just wondering about "cuts" of meat.
    Would it be ok to use ground turkey and chicken?

Default Re: for those making their own food

I haven't started solids yet, mine are only 6 weeks old, but check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com I think they have meat recipes. Hope that helps.

Yes you can use ground meats. Actually they seem to be easier as the are already smaller and can then be ground even more if need be. Be careful though, as the more you grind them, the more dry they become.

Chicken and Turkey are usually recommended as the first meat to start with, however, it is not recommended to start meat until 8-10 months of age. Until then fruit and veggies are more than enough.

Remember solids up until age one are all about exploring and trying, not as a means of survival. A good guideline is that solids should not take more than 10% of your baby's diet between 6 and 9 months, and no more than 25% between 9 and 12 months. 10% would equate to around 3-5 ounces of food, and 25% would equate to about 10-`12 ounces of food. That's a maximum recommended amount, not a minimum.

When I prepare the ground meat should I bake it or just cook it up in a skillet as I normally would?
    And this may sound silly too but should I drain the excess fat or is it better to leave it all/some in?

Cook it as you normally would, just don't add as many spices and seasonings to start with. Watch the salt amount!

And drain the fat. While babies do need fat, they don't need that kind. They will get enough of what they need from the meat itself.

I usually will bake a chicken for the family and then I'll take a small piece and puree it with a little bit of water until a smooth consistency. Then I'll mix it with some pureed vegetables that I've made. My 9 mo old loves it.