Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Progesterone only pills

Default Progesterone only pills

I started taking these b-control pills about a week ago. Does anyone know if this is something that will dry up my milk supply? DS is 16 months old and nurses about 5X/day. I do not want to get pregnant, but am not willing to loose my milk supply, he is a boobie baby. I hope I haven't already done too much damage to the supply!

Default Re: Progesterone only pills

Hi Cat,
    According to LLL's BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, progestin-only methods of contraception are considered compatible with breastfeeding. It goes on to say that, "Many studies have found that progestin-only methods have little effect on breastfeeding. Some studies have found no effect on the volume and composition of milk, while other studies found slightly improved milk supplies and greater duration of breastfeeding in mothers using progestin-only methods."
    Here is an article with some information as well.
    THE BREASTFEEDING DYAD AND CONTRACEPTION
    As you'll see in the article, it talks about waiting until breastfeeding has been established, at least 6 to 8 weeks, before starting progestin-only methods. At 16 months, your breastfeeding is clearly well-established! But if you have concerns you could continue to watch and monitor your supply.
    HTH!
    Mary

I have used these for four months now (DD is 8 mos) with no ill effects, except a bit of mood swings in the first week
    Good luck!

Smile Re: Progesterone only pills

Progestin-only pills are technically compatible with breastfeeding, however some women do have side effects when it comes to milk supply. I had a mild drop in supply during the short time I was on the pills. Other progestin-only methods such as Depo-Provera should only be used when it is established that the hormones will not have a detrimental effect on your milk supply. Once you get the Depo shot, you're stuck with the decision... Another option is the low-dose progestin IUD or the copper IUD. Talk it over with your doctor and see what's best for your situation

Thanks everyone, up until I posted this my supply seemed OK maybe a little lower. Now all of the sudden today I pump and pump and not a drop comes out...Stress maybe? I am very stressed out for my older DD she broke her tooth today and her daddy is taking her to the dentist.

I think I will give then pills a few more days (maybe a week), and see how my supply is looking!

Has anyone else had nerves keep the milk from coming out while pumping?

DEFIANTLY stress can very much affect your ability to pump, if your dc is not frustrated when he nurses and he is still having good output than I would say that your supply is probably OK.