Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: baby gaining too much?

Default Re: baby gaining too much?

Quote Originally Posted by jellybelly View Post
    Yesterday was DD 2mo checkup. Everything is great, she is doing all the things she is supposed to, cooing, smiling, attempting to grab objects, etc.
    She also sleeps through the night, and is a very very happy and quiet baby. She feeds really well, every 3hs or so during the day, just one breast. Her diaper count is very good, everything goes by the book.
    That's wonderful news!

And then, the doctor goes and tells me I have to start pumping and measure if I produce more than 5 oz per breast, b/c "some mothers produce a lot of milk", and if that's the case to give her a call b/c we have to make some changes to baby's eating.
    Did you ask why that recommendation?

Is your doctor aware that pump output is not indicative of overall milk production OR what baby takes in at a feeding (since baby controls his own intake)?

DD is now at 98% in the infamous weight curve, or whatever it's called, and 95% height, so she said she does not want her to keep going "up" in the curve and not to start tampering off, like is supposed to.

Baby was born 8lb 14oz, a week after she was 8lb 12oz and measured 22in.
    At her 2mo she weights 14lb 15oz, and measures 24in.

Remember that weight charts just plot a growth curve. Percentiles are averages. Someone has to be at the top of the chart and someone has to be at the very bottom. Weight is only ONE indicator of baby's overall health. It's important to look at the whole picture (and by your own account, your baby is doing well).

She is healthy, happy and seems to be doing great. I chose to take dr's advice with a grain of salt, and continue feeding my baby on demand when she wants to and for as long as she wants to, that's what my "mommy" instinct is telling me.

We'll see what she'll be like in a few months, for now I'm happy to see her grow and be healthy!!!
    As far as her bowel movements, they are fairly regular with lots of wet diapers and at least 2 very dirty per day, her stools are yellowish and not watery at all, that's why I didn't think there was any issues with my milk supply. Plus she feeds with no problems or fussiness and is not abnormally gassy.
    I'll see what the doc says next appointment, if we continue to have issues I might get a second opinion or switch altogether, although I would hate to because the office is 3 blocks from our house!!!
    That sounds like a good plan.

Here's a (non-LLL) resource that you might find helpful and reassuring:
    http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gro...t-toomuch.html

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I had an oversupply and my LO doubled her birthweight at like 3 months (she was tiny when she was born like 6lbs 1 oz, but was 13 pounds at 4 months, which is like 50th percentile)...however, she's now 8 months old and is now 25th percentile, I think mainly b/c she was so mobile so early (crawling at 5.5 months). So, I wouldn't worry about it. Once your LO is mobile, the weight gain will slow down.

I know someone whose exclusively bf baby was like 28 pounds at 10 months! But, she's now 2 and has slimmed down a bunch!

Hi there! I'm back to answer some of the questions!!
    Yes, both my DH and I are tall, 6'3'' him and 5'10'' myself, so we think our baby will be pretty tall too!!! Supermodel like? Maybe!! Dad is in sports, so maybe she'll go that route as well!!
    I asked the doctor why it would be bad for baby to be on "top" of the "chart" and she didn't really explain to me why, all she said was "We don't want her to keep going up"
    And also she told me that a manual pump won't work as well b/c they don't empty the breast completely....
    It was confusing to me when she brought up the apparent issue, so maybe I didn't ask further questions I should have. But at this point, I'm even more determined to continue doing what we've been doing.I'm sure once she'll start crawling around she'll slim down.
    I'm supposed to go back to work a few hours a week, therefore I will pump some to leave for DH to feed her when I'm gone.Hopefully that won't mess up our great BF relationship!
    Thanks again to all!!

If I were you, I'd just ignore your Doc

When we took James for his 4 month check up, he was 20 lb 9oz and 26.75 ". Our Doc spent a good 5 minutes kindly reassuring us that he was fine and not too fat and BF babies are often bigger at first and blah blah blah while my husband and I smiled and nodded. Neither of us was remotley worried he was fat The boy is just HUGE and solid.

He's been like this all the way through. He started at a bogstandard average 7lb 8oz at birth (down to 7lb 4oz) and then just [/b]GREW!![/b]

The only thing I'd advise...is watch your back... if she keeps growing like James has. Toting a now just over 4.5 month old 22lb, unweildy sack of potatoes, is tough on the old back. As is trying to find clothes to fit.

BTW, how are you managing? All James' weight gain has been at my expense. I'm now like a toothpick with boobs and struggling to keep my weight up. 5' 7" and 115 lb is NOT a good look.

Hi Beanie!! Thanks for your comments!! I wish I secretly laughed when doc was telling me my beautiful bb is "sort of big" for her age, at the time I got upset (no mommy wants to hear she's not doing a good job ) but now I'm over it, I feel so much better after reading all the responses!!

My back is fine for now, but it gets uncomfortable after a while of holding her!! My brother jokes that when we go visit home for the holidays he'll hire someone to hold her so he doesn't strain his own back!! LOL>

As far as my weight, I gained almost 60lbs while pregnant and so far I lost about 40, I thought the weight will keep coming off fast like right after birth, but it looks like it slowed down to about 1lb a week, which I think is normal ? Anyways, I need to improve my diet, even though we eat a lot of veggies and fruit I need to stop my sweet cravings and maybe I'll be my normal self back for holiday dressing!!

Thanks for the smiles!! And maybe we can start the big baby mommies club!!

CONGRATULATIONS! I thinks it's awesome that you are breastfeeding your baby and she's growing fine! it sounds like she's doing GREAT!
    Don't worry! my DD when she was born was 8lbs.11oz and 22 inches, now at 2 months she's 14lbs.2oz and 25 inches! =) 97% in weight and height!
    I thinks there's a club in this forum for chunky babies! my DD entered when she was 7 weeks!
    to you!
    Last edited by Karina D.; October 4th, 2007 at 01:59 PM.

And also she told me that a manual pump won't work as well b/c they don't empty the breast completely....
    Perhaps your dr isn't aware that the breast never fully empties anyway. Approximately 25% is always in there, more is produced constantly. I have been able to empty just fine with a manual pump.

dont worry honey!! my baby was 14lbs when she was 2 months now at 4 months she is 17!!! my niece is 12 months and weights 18 lbs!! so dont worry! is ok!!