Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby gaining too much?

Default baby gaining too much?

I'm trying really hard not to be bothered by this but I am , and since all you ladies are so nice around here I'm posting to get some feedback on this issue.
    Yesterday was DD 2mo checkup. Everything is great, she is doing all the things she is supposed to, cooing, smiling, attempting to grab objects, etc.
    She also sleeps through the night, and is a very very happy and quiet baby. She feeds really well, every 3hs or so during the day, just one breast. Her diaper count is very good, everything goes by the book.

And then, the doctor goes and tells me I have to start pumping and measure if I produce more than 5 oz per breast, b/c "some mothers produce a lot of milk", and if that's the case to give her a call b/c we have to make some changes to baby's eating.
    DD is now at 98% in the infamous weight curve, or whatever it's called, and 95% height, so she said she does not want her to keep going "up" in the curve and not to start tampering off, like is supposed to.

Baby was born 8lb 14oz, a week after she was 8lb 12oz and measured 22in.
    At her 2mo she weights 14lb 15oz, and measures 24in.

She is healthy, happy and seems to be doing great. I chose to take dr's advice with a grain of salt, and continue feeding my baby on demand when she wants to and for as long as she wants to, that's what my "mommy" instinct is telling me.
    Did this happen to any of you mommies out there? What did you think/do?
    I appreciate any feedback!!!

Default Re: baby gaining too much?

Breastfed babies normally start slowing down once they gain the ability to move around a bit. Pretty soon your jolly little baby will be doing something besides sleeping and eating, and then all those calories will be put to use. I really would follow your instinct in regards to your baby. By trusting and honoring your innate ability to sense when things are wrong, you will strengthen the bond between your child and yourself.
    It sounds to me that you know that everything is ok. I would try and process that feeling, and come to terms with how much you felt your dr really knew about your infant.

I say Dont worry about it!!! My son was about that weight at two months. It is common for breastfed babies to gain and gain, and then around six months or so their weight gain slows down as they become more active. I have always nursed my son on one side like you, and he gained very quickly as well. I say as long as your baby is happy and healthy, you have nothing to worry about. I think following your instinct is the right move.
    My doctor never told me about measuring my pumped milk or saying that my son was too big. She is the one that told me that breastfed babies tend to gain more quickly (obviously all babies are different and not all BF babies are this way, but maybe she was trying to make me feel better )
    Glad to see your baby is doing well! Take care!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I would not worry too much about it! My lo was 90th percentile at her one month appointment and then at her two month appointment she was 50th. Now she is somewhere inbetween. My ped said that bf babies tend to gain weight quickly at first and then slow down ... just like the pp noted. Sounds like you just have a case of the happy, healthy, well fed baby!! Who could complain about that ... good job mama!
    Jennifer

AIM- cuigrl

Proud Mommy to~
    Emma and Ally 3/15/06 (my two little angels in heaven)

Kaylin Ryan born on 6/22/07~ My joy!!!!

Don't worry at all and you are very right in trusting your mommy instincts. Breastfed babies gain rapidly (that is what nature intended to do because they are supposed to be growing very rapidly especially in the first 4-6 months). They are supposed to double their birth weight by 3-4 months (that is 6 months for FF babies). Once they start moving around their weight gain slows down considerably because the fat in BM is burnt very easily (that's why BF babies are much less likely to be obese as adults since their bodies learn to absorb and burn fat in a very different way than FF babies.) Then your doctor will start bugging you about why she is not gaining enough and that you should supplement her and that kind of crappy advice. Just do what you are doing. BF babies don't eat more than they need so even if you have tons of extra milk it won't matter, she just will stop when she is full. If you had oversupply problem your baby's poop would be green. If she is pooping nice mustard colored poops it means she is getting just the right amount of milk from you. Don't worry and don't listen to your doctor's obviously ill-informed advice (s/he obviously doesn't even know that pumping will increase supply even more and create a real oversupply problem ). You are doing a great job feeding your baby.

I love my ped! My baby started out between 50-75% until that six month mark. As my ped said, "Up until now it was good nutrition. Now, the genes kick in." I'm small and dh is tall, but thin, so we have small girls. My oldest did this same thing - average until 6 months, and then down to 25% (like dd#2 is now) and now, she's between 5-10% at 2.5 years of age. My point being - I concur with pp's - BF babies have excellent nutrition and can be larger at the beginning. At around 6-12 months, the genetics start to take over with size (ie. mine get short).

Amy

thank you all very much!!!!!!!!!!!! Very reassuring!!!
    We'll see what she'll be like in a few months, for now I'm happy to see her grow and be healthy!!!
    As far as her bowel movements, they are fairly regular with lots of wet diapers and at least 2 very dirty per day, her stools are yellowish and not watery at all, that's why I didn't think there was any issues with my milk supply. Plus she feeds with no problems or fussiness and is not abnormally gassy.
    I'll see what the doc says next appointment, if we continue to have issues I might get a second opinion or switch altogether, although I would hate to because the office is 3 blocks from our house!!!
    thanks again, this forums is the best.!!
    to all!!

What strikes me is that your daughter is in the 98th percentile for weight, and the 95th for height. It would be one thing if she was 50th percentile for height and 98th for weight- then you might want to look for some sort of oversupply problem. But your daughter's percentiles match- she's proportional. Her weight is just right for her height. Sometimes I think the docs get so freaked out by the childhood obesity stuff that they read waaay too much into a single high number.

Follow your instincts! When your doc says something dumb, just nod and smile, and keep on keepin' on! Obviously you're doing a great job.

Hi, I would not worry about it. Are you or your hubby tall etc? I am average and my hubby is really tall. My baby was about 15 lbs at 2 months and has always been over 100 percentile for height and weight on her checkups. My Ped said its nothing to worry about since hubby is tall etc.. If your baby is happy and growing that should be all that matters. Did you see some newborns have been born weighing 14 + pounds!

I would tell your pediatrician to pound sand!! Like PP said your daughter is very proportional and is also tall compared to the "average" baby her age, so what! Maybe she will be a supermodel! Really though, she sounds perfectly normal. Trust your instincts.