Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing to nurse

Question Refusing to nurse

My DD is 7 months old. The past 4 nights she's been up all night...literally. She hasn't pooped in 3 days and I know she is a little constipated and could also be teething. Every time I go to nurse her she will suck maybe 5 mins if that. This has been going on for months. She was always a quick nurser even when she was a wee one...20 mins tops longer at night. She is fine weight wise so it never seemed like a prob. Now she fights me almost every time I go to feed her. Could she just not be hungry and I'm feeding her too soon???She'll suck for a few then twist and turn to get away. Yesterday it was a battle to feed her at 830 then we played solids at 915 and then played napped at 11 and never ate after she woke up at 1. I tried again and got her to eat for 5 mins at 130. What should I do???// It seems there are so many things going on with hewr right now...milestones etc keeping her up at night so maybe it's affecting her eating????????????? thanks for your help

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Refusing to nurse

I know it is hard not to get worried, but if you can stay relaxed during the bfing sessions (even when lo is fighting) things will go better in the long run.

The constipation and teeth are both contributing to this I'm sure. I give my lo prune juice- about 2 oz at a time 3 x a day until he poops when he is constipated (per his doctor if he hasn't pooped in 48 hours) Not that you have to worry about not pooping... but if you think lo is uncomfortable and want to do something about it I'd give it a try.

Have you tried a quiet, dark room?

I used a pilates ball and bounced him while we nursed and that helped.

My guy went through the same thing... although I think he was 5 months at the time. He got over it!

Thanks!!! Yes the prune thing.....we give her prunes too when she's constipated and I up my water intake. Hopefully she will go tonight.

YES!! I feed her in our bedroom where she sleeps. It's dark and I play her lullaby cd. This is new since she turned 6 months and was getting very curious downstairs. I am not sure if she just isn't hungry and I keep forcing it. Do LO take in more now that they are oolder so it takes less time??

Hi, my LO is going through exactly the same! She is coming up for 7 months too and this started at the end of August. Now she won't nurse unless i'm walking around with her - which is very frustrating! I'm thinking that she's not liking it now that she's having solids. She still nurses fine during the night though which has baffled me a bit. I try to stay nice and calm and when she's showing signs that she doesn't want it I don't force her. She has just got her first 2 teeth so this might have caused her to be off her feeding. Also she is very distractable - there's too much going on for her to be missing out on! I really hope this passes soon and she gets back to nursing happily again.

Just wanted to let you know that you're not on your own hun. Keep at it.

Les
    X

Quote Originally Posted by buddahofthewest View Post
    Hi, my LO is going through exactly the same! She is coming up for 7 months too and this started at the end of August. Now she won't nurse unless i'm walking around with her - which is very frustrating! I'm thinking that she's not liking it now that she's having solids. She still nurses fine during the night though which has baffled me a bit. I try to stay nice and calm and when she's showing signs that she doesn't want it I don't force her. She has just got her first 2 teeth so this might have caused her to be off her feeding. Also she is very distractable - there's too much going on for her to be missing out on! I really hope this passes soon and she gets back to nursing happily again.

Just wanted to let you know that you're not on your own hun. Keep at it.

Les
    X
    WOW!!! SAME thing here. Soo distractible. I try not to get frustrated but she nEEDS to eat. I fed her this am around 6 and she didn't eat until just now at 11 ish for about 5 mins. That's it????? What the heck? I guess she'll eat when she's hungry????

This topic comes up from time to time, I dug up this old thread about the same thing:

9 Month Old only nursing when asleep

I'm not going through the same thing right now, though I did several months back and I just wanted to offer you ladies some support. The 8 - 10 month age for my DS was really hard on our nursing relationship. He was so easily distracted, he would have boughts of constipation and he wouldn't nurse for 2-3 days, I just felt so awful and was worried he was weaning. He didn't, he's now 14 months and nursing like a pro. This age is just really hard, they have a lot going on developmentally, etc. I hear mom's say their little ones weaned at 9 months, and I can say from my experience it would have been 'easy' to confuse things and let that happen, but some persistence and your LO's will keep right on with their nursing relationship. Just hang in there.

HTH

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.