Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
All three, all natural!
My DS is 3 1/2 mos now and had 2 IV antibiotics for the first 7 days of his life...just as a precaution (several delivery complications including fever -both me and baby- i was positive for group strep B and baby swallowed meconium). We had to make that decision on the fly and being a FTM it sounded like the right thing to do. They thought he might have sepsis, but we didn't learn that until later.
DS is also now on Zantac (just started at 3mos for reflux) and i was very hesitant to put him on that....but he's a much happier baby now. I could see the pain from the acid in his eyes and it made me so sad. non-med remedies just didn't work for our LO.
i know this decision isn't easy.
mom to Robert Giovanni born June 20, 2007.
Just an fyi, I have done a lot of research on ear infections and most will clear on there own. I think its about 70% will heal without antibiotics.
But I understand you are probably wearing thin with LO being sick this long and not sleeping well.
Micah Mateo 10 months old
And my angel Tyler born and passed 3/3/06
he had some more gagging spells and still a low grade fever so i decide to follow dr's advice and start antibiotics - Amoxicillin. i hope he gets better soon. i am still so scared for him. you can tell he's in pain and scared from the cough. i read that the cold is actually a virus (or bacteria) but that ear infections can become bacterial, even if baby had a virus to start with. i didn't want to risk him losing hearing or it getting worse over the weekend. plus he just doesn't seem to be getting better. the one pediatrician suggested putting him on antibiotics after only 3 - 4 days of not getting better, b/c he is so young. another one (the one i went to the last time) let me wait it out for about 10 days now.
my baby was also on antibiotics for about the first 5 days of his life. also, i am sick again (just got over a cold a few weeks ago). so i hope baby doesn't catch my cold too, on top of the one he already has. i feel so bad for him, poor little guy. i just want him to get better. sadly ear infections run in our families, as do allergies. so this may be the start of a long haul for him.
I'm sure your lo will be fine now - you should see some real results about 1-2 days after starting the amoxycillan. Keep us posted!
My LO is 11 months old and currently on his first course of amoxycillan for a double ear infections. The ped. said that because he is under 18 months, it is alot more difficult to clear on its own. If he was over 18 months, he would hold off to see if it would heal on its own.
Anyway, he is going back in this afternoon for another ear check. He is still tugging after over a week of treatment. He also has a rash on his feet and legs. Not sure if it's from that or not.
Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
born on 11/2/2006
and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
born on 6/15/09
MOBY WRAPS ROCK
Interesting - my dd#1 (2.5 years old) had to have a second round of a different antibiotic b/c her ear infection did not clear with the amoxy. This was the first time I'd heard of having to do this and I was not real happy, but it did clear after the second antibiotic. Hope yours cleared the first time.
PS Do you give any acidophilis (spelling?) while on antibiotics? My dd#1 is prone to diah when on antibiotics, so I get the acidophilis (stronger ones from pharmacy kept in fridge) and put a capsule in her OJ in the mornings. It really works wonders if your lo has this problem with antibiotics. It could easily be added to a bottle of EBM or solid foods - it's tasteless.