Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have you had to give your baby antibiotics?

Default have you had to give your baby antibiotics?

my LO is 3 months old and has a cold/cough he can't shake. it's affecting his sleeping and dr. is worried it's turning into an ear infection... he's had it almost 1.5 weeks and is not getting better. he also has a low grade fever. they are suggesting antibiotics but also said that if baby gets antibiotics so young, it sets him up to get every little thing and then could require antibiotics to get over it. have any of you had to give your LO antibiotics at a young age? (before a year?) did you find they got sicker then afterwards? i'm scared to give him the antibiotics, but scared not to give them as well. i am very discouraged right now and want to cry.

Default Re: have you had to give your baby antibiotics?

birth for 48 hours via iv. i wish i was more informed, we now battle thrush off and on. monitor the fever ( wich can be a good thing as the body is doing its job) and try antibiotics as a last resort.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

sadly my baby had antibiotics for about the first 5 days of his life. no one asked us if it was ok too (but he was very sick then etc). so now i feel like he's already set up to catch every little thing and hate to see him have to take antibiotics again... that's why i am wanting to hear others' experiences.

DD, 17 months, has had some ear infections. We try to avoid antibiotics, but we've resorted to them a couple times. She's been just fine. I asked our pedi if she could become immune to them and she said yes, but they will change what kind they prescribe every few times so that doesn't happen.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

how did your baby get over ear infections without antibiotics? i thought antibiotics were needed to get over most ear infections? what made you resort to using them the times you did?

Ear infections can be viral or bacterial, sadly they can't tell which is which so they tend to just prescribe antibiotics which won't help with viral at all.

I've always gotten antibiotics for my older DC, it was just very recently that I found out about the ear infections being both (like Pink Eye). I wouldn't say it ever set them up for more illnesses, they're generally very healthy happy kids. LO hasn't gotten sick yet, so not sure what we'd do if she had an ear infection.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

My LO is on daily antibiotics and probably will be until she 3-5 years old due to a kidney problem. It drove me crazy to give them to her at first but her doctor eventually told me that we had no choice, I could stop and risk permanent kidney damage. So we consulted a pediatric naturopath who has us giving her probiotics every day to try and combat the effects of the antibiotics. It makes me feel a little better. The odd thing is that we battled with thrush before she was on the antibiotics and I was sure it would come back but it didn't!

I wouldnt give abx unless doc was sure of an ear infection - not just 'worried it's turning into one'. JMO
    Good luck
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

unfortunately, it's not just the possible ear infection. it's the bad cough (waking him at night and gagging him and cries of pain) and cold that aren't getting better and the low grade fever. that is also the other reason dr wants us to try antibiotics. dr said if we wait too long and LO does not get better, he could end up on IV's and shots. this scares me! but of course as i mentioned, so do the antibiotics!

I'd do the antibiotics, personally. DD has had to have them once at about 4 months for ear infection. If an ear infection gets bad enough, you can risk hearing damage. I know all the negative talk about antibiotics, but they do serve a great good in treating infections and sometimes we really do need to trust the peds.

Amy