Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Son going off BM?

Default Son going off BM?

Hmm... however he has had a bad cold and is still recovering from it..
    he has also lost interest in solids, and also BF..
    My parents insist that I give him water, which they have been giving him, and since he hasn't done a poop in 4 days, they say I should give him warm water. I was thinking.. isn't it better to give him BM, since it's not empty calories like water is.. but oh! I don't know.. any advice, anyone?
    Does BM have some laxative effect on babies?
    However, he was on paracetamol and Zyrtec too, as he was having a fever, and also to stop the runny nose.

The last time he had a cold, he was nursing often.
    Now, he just doesn't wanna nurse, even if I offer it to him he'd take a few sucks and then just go on playing.. even at night he doesn't nurse as often.

He is 9 months, but since I feed him on cue, I really don't know how much I "should" be feeding him though.. so how he is feeding now seems quite little.. so am getting a bit worried..?

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Son going off BM?

If he's not feeding you should give him water to keep him hydrated. BM is best, but if he's not feeding, he still must drink.

How wet are his nappies?

If he won't nurse, expressed breastmilk in a cup would be best. A cold will definitely cause a reduction in nursing and eating (and therefore in pooping). DS did the same thing. Aside from making sure he is hydrated, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure he'll be back to himself soon.

My lo is doing the same thing. But I think once they feel better they will do better. Like pp said just keep him hydrated.

Yes Breast milk does have laxative properties. And you should really TRY to offer him the breast more. At 9months old they are often distracted. But walking around with your shirt off or showing them your breast or breasts can really help with that. Because not only does the BM have a natural laxative effect AND keep them hydrated, but also if you are NOT sick, you are giving all the antibodies that are keeping your well, or all the ones that got you over the sickness if you in fact contracted it to some degree. The more you breast feed, the sooner the baby should get over it. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Yes thanks everyone for responding!

Hmm... he is a bit better now and yes, he is starting to feed more. I was a little afraid that he was gonna wean himself off the breast! Phew, not yet..

Supply has reduced a lot though.. due to him not drinking much. I hope it gets up again.

Yes, that's true, no poop coz he was not feeding much.. wet nappies not many, but today he is better. Thank you all.

About him getting distracted! Phew, since 6 months! It can be such a struggle trying to feed him sometimes!

Milk supplies are generally very resilient. You may notice being more thirsty than usually as your supply increases, so be sure to drink plenty of water.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    Milk supplies are generally very resilient. You may notice being more thirsty than usually as your supply increases, so be sure to drink plenty of water.
    Hmm.. you are right. I do feel a whole lot more thirsty.
    I also stay at home, so that's good. I let him suck whenever he wants to to up the milk supply.. poor fella is a bit annoyed that he isn't full after each feed, but I am not gonna supplement!

Thanks I-Man's Momma