Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help badly ... too early to call??

Default Re: Need help badly ... too early to call??

I'm glad things are going beter.
    How did she do today?
    The more often you offer to nurse the beter!
    some newborns like to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours.
    And thats normal for them.
    Don't let her sleep too long in the 1st few weeks.

hi and so sorry about your soreness. My LO is 3 weeks and when we first got home from hosp my nipples were so sore too. I still had pain even when I used the shield. I took the least sore side and nursed from that one and pumped for one day on the sore side. Then did the same thing, different side next day and just that little break and lots of Lanolin cream made a huge difference plus now I have some milk stored for a rainy day. Using a good amount of that Lanolin cream after each nursing session really helps me. When I first started I was only using a tiny bit and the OB nurse told me to put a little glob on each nipple and it really helps.

^I second the post about using lanolin. When I was at the hospital with my baby I forgot to bring Lansinoh and man did my nipples hurt. As soon as I started using it the pain decreased greatly.

Lansinoh also helped me out this time around. With my first son, I also had such nipple pain it made me cry - and there wasn't anything wrong with the latch, either. I don't care what people say, sometimes it just hurts until you get used to it. I have sensitive skin and mild exema too, which I think I've read might contribute to soreness.

Anyway, it's not a fun thing to experience, but it will get better, I promise. Another suggestion - with my first son, when the pain was at its worst, I found that pumping with my hand pump didn't hurt nearly as much as nursing, so I would pump one feeding and let DH give it to himin a bottle. He didn't really like bottles as a rule, but this worked a couple of times and the break really helped give me a chance to heal. I don't know if this would work for you, but maybe it's worth trying.

Hang in there!