Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help badly ... too early to call??

Default Need help badly ... too early to call??

Hi - new here. DD is one week today and my nipples are so sore that I sob and have to pull her off. She is now crying and so am I. It is 6:52 a.m. Is it too early to call a leader? How else can I find somebody to give me hands on personal help? thanks!

Default Re: Need help badly ... too early to call??

hi
    I'm glad you found the fourm.....
    most leaders with older kids in school would be up and moving around.
    what state are you in? Do you have your local leaders number?

are your nipples cracked and bleeding?
    heres a link of things to try for cracks, sometimes they take a while to heal.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

Hope you are fealing beter soon!

Thanks. They are not bleeding YET ... but probably will soon. Definitely cracked. I'm thinking maybe our latch isn't right???
    I am trying to follow the advice in the "womanly art..." and yesterday day I had two successes (only light pain and mostly only at the beginning of the latch).

Last night she was panicking and I gave her my pinky for the first time. She sucked HARD ... but it soothed her. Did I screw it all up with that?

I have a nipple shield ... but have not used it yet. Trying not to! But maybe I should so that my baby can eat ... she must be so hungry this morning. She nursed last night around 10pm. And I did get her some milk this morning (half a feeding?) at 5 a.m. before the unbearable pain.

yeah keep trying to get her to nurse!
    Are you doing suppliments? BOttles?
    That can cause trouble for some babies.
    What have her wets been like? What about poops....
    heres a link about telling if baby is getting the milk they need.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

there are some good clips you can watch with latches on the birth den they are on the right side of the page
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

this might help too
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...uteHelper.html

take it one feeding at a time....
    I have to go to preschool now but I'll check back later
    let me know how things are going.....

Thanks for the links, I'm heading there now. No bottles or anything. Supply isn't an issue for me ... giant bb's with lots of dripping milk. I think it is the latch. I'm considering just hovering over her and dripping milk in there like a baby bird!

She is sleeping now. DH got her to go down ... I think he doesn't smell like yummy milk. Would she sleep if she was truly hungry? I guess not, right? Maybe she got plenty during that morning feeding and I am over-worrying? We do love to eat in this house! But my nipples are even sore now. maybe I will take a shower to sooth them while I have a chance...

Will the LLL leaders come to my house to help me wiht my latch?? That sure seems like a lot of work for them!

I was in the exact same position when my DD was a week old. The biggest thing that made a difference for me was correcting the latch. That will make a world of difference and you'll start healing quickly.

My DD also had a tight frenulum and the pain was so excrutiating that I ended up pumping for a few days by week two just to give my nipples a rest and still get my LO the nutrition. (Pumping at this age can be dangerous because giving a bottle that early could definitely cause nipple confusion.) If you had to resort to pumping just to give your nipples a break, you could try some other feeding methods for expressed milk, such as finger feeding. (We did bottles earlier than we should have, but we got lucky in that she still took the breast the same.) We also used the nipple shields, which worked for a while by protecting my sore nipples, but didn't fix the problem. Nothing really fixed the problem except fixing the latch. I just wanted to tell you that I COMPLETELY remember being in that position and how hard it was. Hang in there!!! It WILL get better once you fix the latch!!

Hi and congratulations on your new LO! The early weeks of breastfeeding can be very challenging, but with some help and support it definitely gets better!

Have you been able to get ahold of a leader? It does sound like you may need some help with your latch. Some leaders are able to come to your house to work on latch, others are not. You can also try contacting an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) for help with latching if help from the leader isn't successful.

How are things going since your last post? Andrea gave you some great links. I'm a little concerned with the frequency of feedings that you mentioned. 10pm to 5am is pretty long for a one week old to go between feeds. A baby that young sometimes WILL sleep even when they really need to eat. What happens is they just get too tired and sleep wins out. You want to make sure you are getting 8-12 feedings minimum in each 24 hours. If its to excruciating to put baby to the breast, then you need to try to pump and feed the baby by an alternate method (to avoid bottles you can use a spoon or small plastic feeding cup). Fixing your latch should help with the pain, though, so getting help ASAP is probably your best course of action. It still may be somewhat painful while your nipples heal, but it shouldn't be so bad that you can't stand it.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. Hang in there!

First of all good for you getting help, I was in great pain the first week but chalked it up to my nipples toughening up - by the time I got help the damage was done. If the LL leader can't come to you, get in touch with an LC if you can. We don't have a lot to spare, but it is worth every penny, seriously. I know what it's like to be in so much pain you cry when your baby shows hunger signs - even though you love them so much and are determined to breastfeed. It gets sooo much better with a good latch. Lots of luck to you!

I agree with pp - call an LC for an appointment. Our Ped's office has one, but if yours doesn't, they may know of one.

amy

thanks ladies!! my mw came by last night and helped us fix the latch. Also said I need to wake her to feed. We have had several sucesses since then! 2am, 3am, 8am, 9am. We'll aim fot the 3 hr (at least) mark today. I have renewed hope! Thanks 4 the encouragement!