Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: just not getting it

Question just not getting it

My lo was a c-section baby and I was not able to bf right away because of his low temp and my constant shaking from the meds. From the beginning we have had bfing problems. My lo had a poor latch and wouldn't open his mouth. I also have flat nipples and didn't have much for him to latch on to. Finally had to use the nipple shield. Now, I can't get him to nurse without it. I have been in to see a lc and found out his gag reflux has moved forward, he has a poor latch, and he chews instead of sucks. the lc gave us some tips but nothing seems to be working. It has gotten to be a frustrating and depressing evetn for me. I just want to feed him normally. He is three months old now and I don't know if this is ever going to change. My biggest wish is to be able to have him latch on and feed from me without the nipple shield. Guess we'll just keep working on it and hope it's not too late for him to learn.

Default Re: just not getting it

Congrats for hanging in there and giving your LO the best!!! For many women the nipple shield is a source of immence frustration. Kellymom has some great tips on weaning from the Nipple shields.

Unhappy Re: just not getting it

I was really hoping to find more mothers out there that were having these same problems so that I wouldn't feel so alone. But, I guess that's not the case. Thank you for the encouragement surfinrn&mom2mason. The website was helpful with the nipple shield. However, I am still at a loss on my lo gag reflex moving and the chewing.

Hang in there mama, I too had to use the nipple shield. We weaned from the shield around 2.5 months. DS was 5 weeks premature and is just now able at 15 months old to eat solids and BF without my worry because of him gagging and choking (though occationally he still does). It does get better with time

How old is your LO? I just wanted to clarify does he latch at all without the shield for a couple of minutes? Is there any other concerns as far as weight gain, not enough wet diapers, etc? Getting some more info could help us give you some more input.

Your not alone, sometimes some of us have delt with one issue and not others so we don't know how to help the overall problem. I am sure there are going to be others that chime in

Didn't mean to sound so upset. Guess I get too frustrated some times and need to take a step back. My lo is 13 weeks old and his latch is getting much better. Just need to remember that sometimes it takes small steps to get any where. he also seems to suck better some days more than others. I have recently been trying to get him to latch on to me but he just gets frustrated and mad that the shield is not there. We have also been taking baths together since I heard that this can bring them back to their innate abilty to latch and suck. It worked about two weeks ago but then he would gag on the nipple. We have only once since he was born had a successful bfeeding session. I'm trying to remain optimistic and remember that I am not the only one having problems even if it feels like.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I had an underweight baby - also thru a Caesarian - and my LO couldn't BF successfully until she was five weeks old. Weak latch, didn't like it and she was used to the bottles in the NICU. It was incredibly frustrating and I felt really alone. I would read this forum and be so jealous of all the women with OALD and babies that BFed all the time. I thought it would never work and was very, very close to giving up. But I didn't and eventually it started to work. I have a friend who couldn't BF until her LO was 5 months old! Hang in there! i understand your frustration, believe me. Best of luck! It will happen!

I feel your pain... my LO was unable to open her mouth up until 2 weeks ago. She has never latched with or without a breast shield. For the first 3 weeks, we cup fed her breast milk and then moved her to a bottle. She's now 5 months old and i'm still pumping. She already has 2 teeth, so, I think my days of trying to get her to latch have come to an end. Because she doesn't know how to latch, she uses my nipple as a chew toy. Hearing that other people get babies to nurse successfully at 5 months is inspiring... However, I have essentially lost hope that we will ever be one of those success stories. You are not alone. BUT, rather than feeling like a failure - I have made the decision that I am really proud that despite our challenges, my 5 month old daughter has been a 100% breastfed baby. You should be really proud of yourself for sticking it out... I am...