Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help

Default Help

I really need some help and advice...

I have a 3 week old son that I have been breastfeeding. It has been going well up until 4 days ago. He started by fighting eating at night. He would latch on for a minute and the pull off. If I tried to get him to latch back on, both of us ended up getting upset, however he still would act like he was hungry. But, he still ate well during the day.

Now, he is starting to do the same thing during the day. He has gone from eating for about 10-15 minutes every 2 hrs, to 3-4 minutes every 3.5-4 hrs.

I need some advice, I really enjoy breastfeeding and want to continue, but I don't think this is normal and I do not know how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Default Re: Help

I hope you can find some answers for your troubles - - and here's a link that may help get you started Good luck ! :tumbsup
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Does he look in pain when he is BF? Does he arch his back when you try to feed him? Does he spit up frequently? Does he BF at night better? If so, there may be a reflux problem but of course it needs to be diagnosed by your doctor.

He may be still a bit young for a soother but you could try letting your DS suck on your pinky finger. I know that my DS acted that way when he didn't want to eat, He just wanted to suck. My DS was a very efficient eater right from the beginning, he only ate for a maximum of 5 minutes at a time ever 3-4 hours. Just keep an eye on his diaper output to make sure he is eating enough and let him suck away. I introduced a soother after 6 weeks. DS would be content to suck on his soother unless he was hungry. He will let you know which he wants.
    Amanda Wife to my wonderful husband 06_98
    Breastfeeding, Sling Wearing, Co-sleeping, Cloth Diapering Mom to my Intact Boys
    DS #1 - 02_02 BF'ed for 9 Months and
    DS #2 - 10_06 Currently BF'ed 22 Months and still going.

Thanks!! I thnk I found my answer