Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I thought I was lucky enough to escape the biting. :(

Default I thought I was lucky enough to escape the biting. :(

DD will be 10 months on Friday. We occasionally do solids, about once a day or so. Sometimes purees, sometimes self-fed. She's bitten in the past, but it was random and very sporadic, like maybe once every 6 weeks or so. But the past few days, she's been biting more regularly. Her first two teeth are in and have been for a couple of weeks, and she doesn't appear to be having any other teeth coming in yet.

When she bites, I pull her in close briefly, then take her off and say "No Biting" sternly, but when I take her off she's smiling so big like it was a game to her. The bites don't hurt as bad as I'm sure they could, but to someone who hasn't been bitten, they hurt. I wish I could make her see that it's not a game. Already it's at the point where I nurse her nervously, wondering when/if a bite is going to come. The bites are towards the end, but they do come w/o warning so it's not like I can stop a bite before it starts.

Now I know why some people really REALLY want to wean when teeth come.
    Last edited by Harmony96; October 2nd, 2007 at 07:31 PM.
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food

Default Re: I thought I was lucky enough to escape the biting. :(

Hm, nobody can commiserate or tell me how long their baby bit for or how to relax during nursing sessions again or anything?
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food

Oh, I'm so sorry that you are going through a biting phase. I have a biter too and it hurts so bad! When you take her off the breast when she bites do you end the nursing session or let her go back to nursing? A lot of babies get the message if you just immediately stop nursing and go into another activity. At that age I found that my DS was biting in part because he wasn't really serious about nursing all the time anymore. He was old enough to be entertained by a game of "roll the beach ball" or "itsy bitsy spider" when he was fussy rather than just nursing. Its a phase and if you are consistant teaching her that biting=no nursing then it will hopefully be a short one. Hang in there! Good luck!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyN View Post
    When you take her off the breast when she bites do you end the nursing session or let her go back to nursing? A lot of babies get the message if you just immediately stop nursing ...... Its a phase and if you are consistant teaching her that biting=no nursing then it will hopefully be a short one. Hang in there! Good luck!
    Thanks. Yes, I do go ahead and end the session, but it's like she was done anyway b/c she doesn't get upset or anything, just has that irresistable grin that she gives me. I'm just nervous that she'll "learn" that biting is a good way for her to tell me that she's done instead of it being just a phase.

my Blog . . my Play Food

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I know what you are going through- although my guy used to bite right at the beginning- like hey! I don't really want to do this now! It is tough, and I don't have much advice except lanolin on your nipple works great when it is sore. My lo didn't do it every time, and hasn't done it now for months (knock on wood!)

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
    I'm just nervous that she'll "learn" that biting is a good way for her to tell me that she's done instead of it being just a phase.
    I worried about that too. One other thing I did was that when I thought DS was wanting to nurse out of boredom (rather than hunger or to go to sleep) I would offer another activity first. We'd read a book, or have a snack or go outside to look at trees or something. If he didn't take to the distraction then I'd go ahead and nurse him, but 9 times out of 10 he'd seem to forget all about nursing for awhile. It helped me figure out which nursing sessions he was really "serious" about and when he was serious he was less likely to bite me. HTH.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

My lo went through a phase of doing this as well. She also did it at the very end of nursing- like she was pinching off the stream or something. I always said no sternly and took the boob away. It didn't seem like it was having an effect, but I kept doing it and after a few weeks she stopped. I dunno if it was because of what I was doing or just because she got tired of it.

Keep being consistent and she'll get it eventually.

Oh yeah!! It helps to pay attention to when they stop sucking. They can't bite while they're sucking (their tongue is in the way), so it will usually come after they stop. I used to watch for when she stopped sucking and have my finger there ready to break suction and pull her off before she got the chance to bite.

HTH
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

DS is also a biter and sometimes it's worse than others. Like you, taking him off with "no biting" didn't work b/c he was usually done. After many times I was able to figure out some cues he gave (they were sublte) but by watching him I figured them out. Also, don't hesitate to take her off when you think she might be getting done. If she wasn't done, she'll let you know, but you might be able to avoid some of the biting that way. I have also as DS has gotten older reminded him we don't bite, we say all done which has also helped.

I have the "occasional biter" and I sternly say "no, that hurts mama" and take him off. He thinks it's funny too. I like the idea of other activities first, to only get the "serious" nursing sessions in. If it's nighttime nursing, I gently push his head into the breast as a "nudge" to stop. I think he does it at night when he is cutting more teeth. Regardless, it hurts

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

The best cure for biting is prevention. So, it's important to pay full attention to your baby while nursing as there are signals before biting. Usually, you will see tension building in the jaw, and that gives just enough time to stick your finger between baby's gum and your nipple. Remember: A baby who is actively nursing cannot bite. Watch for signs of boredom at the breast, too.

Here's some info:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bite.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html (non-LLL resource)