Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Enough of the Areola

Default Enough of the Areola

I am trying to break my baby from the nipple shield and I am wondering if she is getting enough of the Areola. She has the "fish" lips but my nipple still hurts when she is sucking. How do I get her to open her mouth wide enough to make sure that she has enough of the areola?

Default Re: Enough of the Areola

hi!
    How long have you been nursing without the nipple shield?

The last two feedings were the first time to go the whole feeding without it. Other then that we try it without it a few feedings a day.

How old is baby? How long had you been using the shield before today??
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My baby is three weeks old and we have nursed all day today without the shield but I am not sure if she has enough of the areola in her mouth. We used the shield until today. I really want this to work but can't seem to get her to open her mouth wide enough to get a good latch. She gets really worked up and puts her hands in her mouth and shakes her head around when I try to get her to open her mouth.

Dr. Morton has a great checklist (and video of 15 minutes of BF help) of what a latch should look like, but it is more about what it feels like. BFing should not be painful, it might be more sensitive since the shield was a barrier so to speak. You generally should try to get baby to latch and have the lower lip close to the edge of the areola because it is the tounge and jaw that does the massaging to get the milk down, does that make sense? As baby grows they should be able to grasp more and more. After baby latches and suckles a few times your milk will start to let down and your LO will relax as they get the sweet satisfaction of mamas milk. Hang in there mama and keep us posted