Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: demand feeding - can't remember

Default demand feeding - can't remember

When it's OK to stop waking baby for feedings and just feed on demand. My gluttonous 4 day old has already regained his birth weight plus some. I had oversupply last time and already seem to be headed in that direction again, so I'm inclined to let him (and us) sleep for a longer stretch at night than the 2-3 hours you're supposed to wake sleepy newborns. But it makes DH a little nervous to not wake him and I can't find an easy answer in my baby books. Any thoughts? Don't you usually stop waking baby for feedings around 2 weeks? Any real harm to do that earlier?

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: demand feeding - can't remember

I've recall my pedi told me that if they've gained their birthweigtht and is gaining, then you don't need to wake them. But, I also recall somewhere saying that do wake them after 5 hrs, though.

As for us, I never woke DD up since birth during the night. I am still waking her up during the day after 2 hours of sleep (when it still happens!) Trust me, your baby's gonna tell you when he'll be hungry during the night
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

i was wondering the same thing. I have OS too, and get super uncomfortable, so i wake him if I can't sleep. but we just had our 7 day appt and he has regained his birthweight and then some, so I think I will stop. He is a day sleeper though, so I will continue to wake for those feeds.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Pipsmom, congratulations on the new baby! I actually remember your vicious case of oversupply with your first baby. You are wise to be alert to those symptoms and to try to catch it early this time.

Waking newborns is only necessary until it is clear that they have the hang of nursing, your milk supply is plentiful, and most importantly that they are gaining. I usually tell mothers, if there are no concerns about diapers or weight gain, that they can switch to cue feeding once their baby has regained his birth weight. Do continue to keep an eye on diaper output.

My Doc told me once the baby regains their birth weigth let them sleep through the night. But no more then 3-4 hours between feedings during the day. As long as your still getting wet diapers and they are still gaining its okay to let them sleep. Infact you should. If you wake them up you can create a schedual you might have trouble breaking later.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

Oh, wow, I didn't even know you had your baby! CONGRATS!!
    On the actual question, I agree with the pps. Happy babymoon.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks - I don't see the need to wake him. Last night, he did just fine waking me when he was hungry. He's a bottomless pit! But that's not a bad idea about day time. It wouldn't hurt to start gently encouraging him to eat more during the day. With my older son, I remember keeping him in the brighter active rooms during the day and quiet darker places at night to help him get the hang of it.

BTW - he arrived Friday at 5:43am weighing in at a "mere" 8pounds 3ounces (big brother was 9lbs 2) and measuring 22 1/4 inches. Birth was natural again, and it was crazy. Things went wrong after the birth and I'm just not quite ready to be posting about all the details just yet. I'm still processing. Baby is very healthy and beautiful and I'm trying to focus on enjoying him and healing.

Quote Originally Posted by pipsmom View Post
    Baby is very healthy and beautiful and I'm trying to focus on enjoying him and healing.
    You do just that!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on