Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood in babies poop?

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Blood in babies poop?

My 3 month old daughter has been fussy the last two days, just not herself. She has also had gas and tonight when I changed her diaper she had some blood in her poop. I am really worried and wonder what could cause this. My doctor is away until next week and I don't know what to do. She doesn't have a fever and after passing gas seems okay for a little while. I should add that I usually eat a pretty good diet but two days ago we had a birthday party and I ate a lot of chocolate I also started taking calicum pills as I don't really like milk. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Default Re: Blood in babies poop?

One cause for blood in the poop is milk protein intolerance. Cut out ALL dairy (hidden and blatant) and see if she improves. Another cause can be hindmilk/foremilk imbalance. Do you have an oversupply? If so, you may try feeding on the same breast for several feedings, then switching to the other breast. Do this for a couple of days until your supply is more regular.

The fussy and gassy baby can also be caused by the milk protein allergy.

GL!

Is the blood bright red? Bright red blood usually indicates that the bleeding is near the anus and caused by straining while pooping or passing gas. If it does not happen again I would say it is not important. The blood that is most worrisome are the dark colored ones (dark red, brown and black) since it means there is bleeding in the upper GI track for some reason. Bright red blood can also be something serious but not very often. If it is bright red I would say wait for another day and see if there is any more blood in the poop and call the doctor in that case.

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Thanks for all the advice. Yes the blood is red, and DD seems to be having trouble passing gas and pooping. She is grunting and straing but poop is watery. She seems to be a bit better today. Thanks for the link I will check it out right now.