Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a few questions... trying really hard!

Default a few questions... trying really hard!

If anyone has answers to any of these I would really appreciate the help. Seems like my pediatrician is pretty useless when it comes to BF help and my insurance doesn't cover LC. I'm ready to pay out-of-pocket, but I would really like to avoid it since money is tight with a newborn and me not working right now.

I'm not a LLL member yet, but I would like to join as soon as I can get the two of us out of the house in time for anything! Can anyone tell me about the meetings? If I haven't joined, can I go to a meeting to see what it's all about before paying? Also, if I have BF questions for the leader, to I have to join and pay before she can (hopefully) help me? Can I just show up and ask my questions?

I am a FTM, and my LO is 5.5 weeks old. I have been BFing since birth. I actually got to nurse him about 25 mins on each side immediately, before he was even weighed or dressed!! I saw a LC in the hospital and she said his latch was correct, but the right side has been extremely painful since about day 4. Day 5 I started using nipple shields because I was ready to give up (I would have skin hanging off the nipple after every feeding). Now I can usually do 1 feeding pain-free, but the next one is nearly impossible (I can usually do 2 w/o the shield on my left side). The ends of my nipples are very pink (and the rest is brown), and I can feel itching deep in the breast tissue. Ped says doesn't have thrush, but I'm going to ask my OB at my 6wk appt. Friday. Could something else be causing the pink nipples, or is this normal? Also, should I still be in pain after 5.5 weeks??? Sometimes even pain WITH the shield... but I would like to be able to get away from using it at all.

Also, right now he's eating about 15-20 mins on each side. When he takes a bottle he usually eats about 2.5-3 ozs. As he gets older, I will have to nurse longer, right? If it's taking up to 40 mins to feed him now, how long will it be when he's 3mos, or older? I barely have time to do anything now, I'm scared that I won't be able to do anything but feed him if he's eating any longer than this! Hopefully someone has an answer that will put my mind at ease!

Last one I promise! I'm feeding on demand right now, and it seems to be very erratic. For those BTDT BF'ers, at what age did things settle into a baby-led schedule? I love BFing (and being at home is making it a lot easier) but eventually I will need to be able to plan a day in advance!

Thanks in advance for the help... its so frustrating not knowing and doing this for the first time!

Default Re: a few questions... trying really hard!

You have many great questions and I'd love to answer some - but don't have but a moment right now - so hopefully someone will come along and get to you before I can return - but I do want to say you do not have to have a paid membership to attend the meetings - the funds just help your local group as well as LLL as a whole, so it's a nice thing to be able to do when you can.

:tumbsup call a local leader soon be cause they might just be holding a meeting soon! (links in my signature)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

1st as he gets older he will get more efficient at the breast and will probably empty your breast in 5-10min.
    2nd try lanolin cream for your nipples it will help tremendously. I had the same problem..it takes a bit for your nipples to get used to all that sucking...air dry all of the time and that will help too. it is normal for your nipples to be sore since 5-6wks is growth spurt nursing. You can try pumping if it helps

3months it starts to get easier but i think overall there are ups and downs. My lo is 6months and we still have days or weeks of difficulty but that is what we are all here for..to support the ongoing process of trying to bf

HI
    I can't help with the nipple shield/thrush Q's, but can tell you:

1.As they get older they will become more efficient at nursing and take shorter time to remove same amount or more of milk. My 10 mo dd sometimes takes only 5 minutes or less to fully empty one breast, but also still sometimes takes a leisurely 40 minutes when she's sleepy and does some comfort nuring at the same time
    2. May vary alot from baby to baby for when they settle into more of a routine, mine did somewhere around 3-4 months. But even then it's still pretty loose and she tweeks and changes things every few weeks anyway. So many things going on with growth spurts, learning new skills, teething, etc. That's the nice thing about BFing, you can always go out with them and be ready to meet feeding needs anywhere. For napping schedules I find that now my dd is older she has a harder time just sleeping anywhere-for her it's car seat, crib or on me! But I think that varies for each baby-I know lots of mamas with older babies still happy to sleep in stollers.
    Hope the others can help you with the first Q's...keep up the good work

Thank you for the answers so far. So good to know that I won't have to have 2 hour nursing sessions to fill up my little boys belly!

Is there anything... thinner I guess? that I can put on my nipples? The lanolin cream is so thick its incredibly painful to rub in. Even if I just dab it on it hurts to take my finger away. I'm really starting to think I have some sort of infection, because I can't stand clothing touching my nipples. I tried to go bra-less the other day and thought I was going to cry. I also have to wear a sports bra in the shower because the water is too painful.

Thanks again for the help so far! I really appreciate having ladies to help!

Holly

I am not sure if there is anything thinner but the lanolin will work better than anything I know it hurts but the thickness will help protect it. You also really need to air dry. Call your dr as well. But it just sounds like a bad case of chapped nipples.Of course I am not a dr so you should definitely call them.

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhoodle View Post
    If anyone has answers to any of these I would really appreciate the help. Seems like my pediatrician is pretty useless when it comes to BF help and my insurance doesn't cover LC. I'm ready to pay out-of-pocket, but I would really like to avoid it since money is tight with a newborn and me not working right now.

You can call your local LLL Leader and save money instead of a LC

I'm not a LLL member yet, but I would like to join as soon as I can get the two of us out of the house in time for anything! Can anyone tell me about the meetings? If I haven't joined, can I go to a meeting to see what it's all about before paying? Also, if I have BF questions for the leader, to I have to join and pay before she can (hopefully) help me? Can I just show up and ask my questions?

with PP about this one

I am a FTM, and my LO is 5.5 weeks old. I have been BFing since birth. I actually got to nurse him about 25 mins on each side immediately, before he was even weighed or dressed!! I saw a LC in the hospital and she said his latch was correct, but the right side has been extremely painful since about day 4. Day 5 I started using nipple shields because I was ready to give up (I would have skin hanging off the nipple after every feeding). Now I can usually do 1 feeding pain-free, but the next one is nearly impossible (I can usually do 2 w/o the shield on my left side). The ends of my nipples are very pink (and the rest is brown), and I can feel itching deep in the breast tissue. Ped says doesn't have thrush, but I'm going to ask my OB at my 6wk appt. Friday. Could something else be causing the pink nipples, or is this normal? Also, should I still be in pain after 5.5 weeks??? Sometimes even pain WITH the shield... but I would like to be able to get away from using it at all.
    Very well could be thrush, talk to your OB. Some women go undiagnosed for a long time before a doctor will prescribe anything

Also, right now he's eating about 15-20 mins on each side. When he takes a bottle he usually eats about 2.5-3 ozs. As he gets older, I will have to nurse longer, right? If it's taking up to 40 mins to feed him now, how long will it be when he's 3mos, or older? I barely have time to do anything now, I'm scared that I won't be able to do anything but feed him if he's eating any longer than this! Hopefully someone has an answer that will put my mind at ease!
    Actually, as our LO get older they get much more efficient at eating. My LO has times where she's gone over an hour, but many times she takes 5 - 10 min, sometimes less.
    Last one I promise! I'm feeding on demand right now, and it seems to be very erratic. For those BTDT BF'ers, at what age did things settle into a baby-led schedule? I love BFing (and being at home is making it a lot easier) but eventually I will need to be able to plan a day in advance!
    You can always feed on demand even when you're out, if you're not comfortable with nursing in public, if you're at a place with fitting rooms that's always an option. Or consider the idea of wearing your baby in a sling or wrap
    Thanks in advance for the help... its so frustrating not knowing and doing this for the first time!
    We've all BTDT! =)
    Quote Originally Posted by hollyhoodle View Post
    Thank you for the answers so far. So good to know that I won't have to have 2 hour nursing sessions to fill up my little boys belly!

Is there anything... thinner I guess? that I can put on my nipples? The lanolin cream is so thick its incredibly painful to rub in. Even if I just dab it on it hurts to take my finger away. I'm really starting to think I have some sort of infection, because I can't stand clothing touching my nipples. I tried to go bra-less the other day and thought I was going to cry. I also have to wear a sports bra in the shower because the water is too painful.
    If you wear nursing pads - what I've done to make it easier to apply the lanolin is put a pea sized amount (maybe a little more) right in the center of the pad and put the pad in my bra. That works best for me, maybe it's an option for you?
    Thanks again for the help so far! I really appreciate having ladies to help!

Holly
    HTH!

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

I was in a ton of pain nursing my DS and while in the hospitol I was given hydrogel wound dressings by carradres, Ameda sells some for sore nipples that are not as good. Anyhow, once home I was in so much pain I had to take LO off my breast at times because it hurt so much. I went on a crazy hunt for those hydrogel pads. I had everybody searching for them because thet not only bring relief, they help the nipple heal. The LC said if nipples are bad the lanolin wont help. Anyhow, I finaly found them online but you have to order a lot at once. I didnt care, I needed relief. They come in large 4X4 squares and you just cut small pieces to cover the nipple area. the website to order them is
    http://www.carringtonlabs.com/produc...4&idproduct=95

and the quantity is enough to last a long time and then some. but you can always use them on burns or cuts.

hope that helps. you can always call around to a medical supply store and get any brand hydrogel wound dressing sheet. ask if they are a 4X4 square and it should cost around 6-8$ per square. but this brand worked well for me.

Micah Mateo 10 months old
    And my angel Tyler born and passed 3/3/06

take the lanolin and rub it between your thumb and first finger first before you put it on the nipple, it will warm it, make it thinner, and make it go on easier. HTH!

here goes ...generally there should no longer be pain after 3 weeks if the latch is good thrush and bad latch feel totally different I called my nips pepto pink sounds like thrush but last time I checked I'm not a doctor probiotics are helpful as well as vitamin c and garlic I knocked ours out naturally with this and getain violet (purple stuff) I'm allergic to diflucan it is helpful if you get a megadose take this to the doctor with you http://kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html knock on wood any way lanoln keeps the area too moist and can pose a problem when dealing with thrush the l/c at the wic office told me this oh and there is a free l/c at most wic offices even if you do not have wic!!most peds are not real bright in this area I also agree about having a lll member or leader for support ! I agree w pp about the ups and downs it is soooo worth it also the airing out of the nipples is good a vinegar rinse 1 part distilled white vinegar to 4 parts water on the nipple will help also put 1 c vinegar in the washer rinse dry what you can in the sun or even in the dryer and then a lil bit in the sun it kills yeast sunbathe topless if possible haha! I'm sure you are boilng bottle and everything well 20 mins! you can boil bras too .... if I remember anything else I'll post it keep it up! good job so far ! hth btw you can get gv at many stores near the pharmacy walgreens was able to show me where it was eta the painful in the shower thing is so very familiar I really remember that I'd be willing to bet a dollar (I'm broke or I'd say 20 bucks)it is thrush do you ever get itchy does baby have white on the insides of cheeks or a diaper rash? it can cause latching probs intensifying the agony
    Last edited by tashantx; October 2nd, 2007 at 08:47 PM.