Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ha s my milk stooped

Default ha s my milk stooped

hi
    i have the exact same fear-weaninge arly?
    we started solids for our 6 mo ds 10 days ago he is very inetrested and takes food fine
    he is distracted in nursinga nd lap position not taht frinedly so i have to side lie and it hurts my back.afraid of public feeidng too
    all these factors kept aside.yesterdya we tried to legnthen his feeding gap from 2 to 3 hours.today morning i notcied breast not full in morning when i woke up lke daily.also i feel breasts VERY lighta nd fluffy.REALLY doubt if i stopped lactating.fed solids twice today starting today-it is rice cerela mixed with water as i dont have breast pump (will rent tomroow) to expres smilka nd manual expression hurts me.
    Has my milk stopped>?
    it leaked yesterday and engorged on and off whole day.
    I guess i am looking for reassurance that i am stil lactatcting
    ds nursed shorter today.fewer minutes i mean.i plan to force myself to nurse till 12 months as i believe its BEST nnutrition for him.also afarid of the pain when he starts teething...
    I got my period when ds was 5 mo.
    thats me...looking for moral support! though my dear hubby is ever tehre to listen to my fears and his constant support till now!has my milk stopped?
    thanks!

Default Re: ha s my milk stooped

How often is ds nursing in 24 hours? It is unlikely that you have lost your supply, but I would suggest caution with giving too much solids. This will fill ds up with lower-calorie foods.

Is there a reason you stretched his feedings from 2 to 3 hours?

hi
    Thanks for teh reply.
    i stretched his feedinsg from 2 to 3 hours over the 3-4 day sof thsi mmemorial day weeknd as i was getting worn out
    now i am cocerned if thsi has any effect?
    today after feeding he had no burps.i coudlnt hear him swallow as clearlya s before.also he was a bit fussy and light crying irritabilty at feedings
    may be becuase milkw as nnot flowiing?
    i am pumping after i feed and am hardly getting any milk.like half oucne or so.does it mean its agood sign or no?good in the sense breasts getting emptied flly by him?which menas they wil replensih and maintain supply?
    biggest concern is i never feel breasts full -in teh sense they are lighta nd fluffy which is really makning me doubt if tehre is nay milk?he may be nursing a minute or tow less.nurses 5 minutes if i considered his pattern last week.i nursed him only 1 breats a t a time till last week and that was fine now worriedif thsi si enough so i am using both breasts
    his wet diapers may be 1 or 2 less.
    how do i know if ia m on the danger path of my milk getting low and dried up?
    I appreictae qucik reply as this is not making me sleep in peace :-(
    Thanks!

I second taking it realllllly slowly with the solids if you are planning to continue nursing to the recommended one year and/or beyond. If you find your milk supply lessening, nursing more often is a surefire way to build it back up. Even decreasing the time between nursings by half hour to an hour may help to build it back up. To maintain a good supply, putting baby on a "schedule" is not recommended and could really affect your milk supply.

Thanks for the reply.I ike the idea of frquent nursing in the sense to buil dsupply.also i have rented a pump and renting 2-3 times or emptying some times after i fee dhim
    Interestingly the nurse at ped's office said you can feed solids anytime..i see conflicting info in what she is saying and what i am reading here :-(
    on airplane tehey say feed baby to avoid air pressure fo rhi,i am scared of take off and landing..any tips..shoudl i may be put my finger in his mouth to let him suck...
    also is there a diaper deck on the flight...
    also how about pumping options (manual expression hurts me) if baby doesnt nurse on flight..can i give him solids foods the 2 days of international flight and then try bringing supply back up later third day on..
    (will also post these in the LLL Travel forum if availabel after i search)
    Thanks

You may want to post this question on the Infant Board. Lots of moms have travelled with BF babies and give you support and info on how they made nursing on an airplane work.

If you choose to you can nurse your ds anytime on the flight. I would suggest you continue with your normal routine as much as possible during travel. This is when your ds will need the normalcy of BF the most. I would also suggest avoiding the introduction of new foods or more foods while travelling. This would not be a good time to have ds react to something he ate! With BF you always know what he is getting!