Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to ensure DS has a full belly?

Default How to ensure DS has a full belly?

I normally nurse my 16 week old son to sleep at night which takes at mininum 45 minutes. He wakes up at least twice in the night to eat, sometimes only 2 or 3 hours after he last ate. How can I ensure that he is getting enough to fill his stomach so he sleeps longer? We tried a bottle so we know how much he was getting and it didn't make a difference. I think he is waking up and just wanting to pacify himself with me since he can't self-soothe but it's really taking it's toll. He used to only wake up once a night to eat which is fine but suddenly has reverted to being a newborn. DH is useless and refuses to give up sleep to help and insists he needs his sleep and must work out each morning so I am on my own. HELP

Default Re: How to ensure DS has a full belly?

Is he having a growth spurt? That could cause him to need to eat more often.

Or it could be teething. I know my lo wakes often to nurse when she's teething.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Could be the 4 month growth spurt, so the extra feeding in order to get the much needed calories? If so, I wouldn't be suprised if your LO reaches a new milestone any day now. That one (4th month growth spurt) was the most memorable one for me. It was constant nursing!

hello there... first of all, it is hard when you are tired and feel unsupported...
    I don't really think the problem is a full/not full belly... (you too say that giving a bottle didn't help).
    16 weeks is a very exicitng moments for babies, they start to appreciate the outside world in a way they didn't do before (I was there just a few weeks ago!)
    did you notice a decreased nursing during the day (maybe because engaged in new activities like playing, reaching for feet, and so on)? this could lead to a more frequent nursing through the night: a full belly in the last feeding before bed won't help, because it's a matter of "24h intake" quantity...

another thing could be a change in the daytime schedule: longer naps, or taken in different hours (like second half of afternoon), could result in more often wakings at night, with the obvious consquence (yes, it is obvious, for those little vampires! ) of wanting to nurse...

or maybe baby started the first stages of "teething"... meaning, not really cutting teeth, but the early not-sore-but-somehow-bothering gums... thus the wakes...

and, of course, around the 4th month there could be a growth spurt...

with DS we went through the 4months growth spurt, and lately had again problems of frequent wakes... at first I thought of a reaction to the many changes of the past 3 weeks (we went on holiday, different place than home and different hours; then we were at my parents, again differences in the bed, the people around, the timings...). but you know what? these were for sure add ons to the situation, but I have found out what was the problem: once back home, it was much colder than when we had left, so I started using a sleeping bag for the night... you know, one of those that are like overalls, only with a warm sack instead of legs (I dont' know how are exactly called). anyway, DS hates it! he was waking up because he couldn't spread his legs all over the place as he's used to do, he felt trapped! (yes, waddling was never an issue with him... )
    thought of this one sleeples night, changed to a normal blanket that leaves the whole width of the crib available (or my bed), and in 2 days we are back to the 1 wakening per night...

just to say that it could be even a small stupid thing as a wrong blanket... hope you'll find out! meanwhile... to you...
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

sorry, some things I wrote seem repeated as I ignored the previous posts... nope, only slow, slow typing... *giggle*
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

I responded to your other thread.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks. We still swaddle him and that hasn't changed, but it could be a tooth or a growth spurt but I wonder if he is not getting enough calories during waking hours so he is in a deficit when he goes to sleep. He is in day care and gets 1oz fof EBM or every hour he is away from me-so three 4oz bottles and then I nurse him in the AM and PM before bed. He is a slow nurser so who knows what he gets. I weighed him before and after and know he got 5oz that time but who knows if that's consistent. I guess I am just really tired, and tired of people asking me if he's sleeping through the night. If he was, don't you think I would broadcast that to the world?? When I hear people whose babies are younger say that theirs do sleep all night and are on formula, it makes me wonder, but I am not going to the dark side yet.

Sleeping through the night is such a subjective term. If you're tired of hearing it, just start saying yes when people ask those questions. I mean, really it's none of their business and you could spend a lot of time and energy defending yourself, but you're not usually gonna change anyone's mind, especially people who think they know better.

I have this conversation with my grandma all the time- she asks if Nora is sleeping through the night, I say yes, she asks if she's sleeping in her own crib, I say yes. So I lie to her, arrest me . I just don't want to hear it anymore. The way we do things works for us and I got tired of defending it to people who aren't directly affected.

I know this is bad, but at around 4 months, we started laying our lo on her tummy. Now, she had pretty strong neck muscles and was able to hold her head up when she came out of the womb, and she slept in our room so I could hear her if she struggled. I still worried a little, but she slept soooo much better that way!! She'd stay asleep much longer. I did it because my mom reccomended it, saying she'd put all of us to sleep that way and we were ok (bad reasoning, but I was desperate). Anyway, it really saved us for a while there.

I'm not recommending it to anyone, just saying that it worked for us. I started doing it at naptime when I could watch her closely.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous