Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Early induction..will my milk come in on time?

Question Early induction..will my milk come in on time?

I have to be induced next week...39th week..first baby.
    I have had no signs of any milk or anything.
    Should my breasts become larger, fuller, sore?
    Are there any steps to take to encourage the colostrum/milk to come in earlier than planned.
    BF is really important to me and I want to take as many steps as possible to avoid having to bottle feed formula to my baby right off the bat.
    I have some milkmaid tea that has a lot of fenugreek in it...should I start drinking this now? I know fenugreek helps the milk supply.
    I thinkn I have all of my stresses out of the way except this one.
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Early induction..will my milk come in on time?

NO!! Don't drink the Mother's Milk tea - they say not to drink that if you are pg. I had my first at 39 weeks (no induction) and my second induced at 39 weeks. Milk came in faster on the second, actually. I think milk production is stimulated by the baby sucking and possibly labor, but it should not be affected by induced labor vs. going into labor without inducement.

Amy

Don't worry. Actually, milk production is stimulated by the delivery of the placenta - no matter how far along you are. BF as soon as you can after delivery and feed on demand and you will be just fine.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Thanks! That will put me at a bit of ease then...
    Amyped..thanks for the tip on the tea!

Yes, I agree with PPs!! Your body starts making colostrum in your 16th week gestation. As long as you let the baby nurse on demand, you should be fine!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Smile Re: Early induction..will my milk come in on time?

I was induced both times - 39.5 weeks with my first, 38 weeks with my second. Milk came in faster and better with my second but I was armed with knowledge that time. Just nurse nurse nurse and you'll be fine. (for me it was second or third night where it was a non-stop nurse a thon and made me want to cry with fatigue and sore boobs - like literally, the child was on me nonstop the entire night. The first time I didn't know what was going on, what I was doing wrong, whether my child was starving to death, etc. The second time I knew what was happening, gritted my teeth and bore it, knowing that my milk was coming in and my baby was the best one to make that happen. And it worked! Still happily nursing my 21 month old.) Congrats on your pregnancy. You will do fine with nursing. Just know that you can overcome anything. Amazing women here have done amazing things, relactation etc. it's never too late. Knowledge is power when it comes to breastfeeding. Stay on these boards and you'll do just fine. It's a great support network.

I was induced at 37w6d and my milk came in just fine about two days after delivery

MoMmY316 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

u will be ok i was induced at 35wks and my milk came in day 3..good luck and enjoy bf is a beautiful thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Kikivon View Post
    Are there any steps to take to encourage the colostrum/milk to come in earlier than planned.
    As PPs have said, you already have colostrum, and the process of milk "coming in" will start as soon as you birth the placenta. However, there are a few things you can do to help your milk come in more rapidly.

First, ask to be given your baby as soon as s/he is born. It's not medically necessary to weigh/measure/apply eye ointment/bathe/inject a healthy baby immediately after birth. Instead, you can use those first precious minutes/hours to bond, and to breastfeed if the baby is willing. Many babies- particularly those born drug-free- have an alert period following birth during which they will nurse, after which they fall into a deep sleep. If the baby is trundled off to the nursery early on, you may miss that alert, receptive period.

Room in with your baby, day and night. If your baby is right next to you the entire time, you will learn his/her feeding cues and be able to respond quickly and feed on demand. Many babies feed better if you catch them before they become frantic with hunger. By the time a nursery baby gets to his/her mom, s/he may have become too upset to nurse well. Also, when babies stay in the nursery, it can be tempting for a well-meaning nurse to give the baby a bottle in order to let the mom sleep or shower or rest.

Feed on demand, even if it seems like the baby just ate. Frequent nursing helps to bring your milk in.

Ask to see the hospital's lactation consultant (LC). If nursing is going smoothly, the LC can probably still show you some tricks. If you're having any problems, then an early session with the LC may save you a lot of grief later on down the line.

I hope you have a smooth and happy birth!