Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding her all day

Default Feeding her all day

It seems like whenever my baby is awake she wants to be nursing. I started giving her a bottle before bed so my husband could feed her. But even after a bottle she acts like she wants to nurse. I feel like that all I do is sit on the couch and feed her. I love the time I get to spend with her, but sometimes need a break. Some people say its a growth spurt but it has been going on for 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

She is 3 weeks old by the way.

Default Re: Feeding her all day

Sounds normal to me. My 10 week old wanted to nurse all the time the first month. I just laid on the couch with her and watched t.v..

My DS was this way as well, My in laws swore he was starving, b/c he spent sooo much time nursing. You are still in the very early stages, take the time to just enjoy your new baby, I seem to remember my LO going longer between feedings after the first 6 weeks.

My baby (4.5 weeks) does this for days at a time. The longest stretch was 14 hours, virtually constant. I had had 2 hours of sleep in the prior 24 hours and was so tired I cried! I'm still trying to work out the best way to handle this for us, so I don't have a lot of advice, except to say that the swing has occasionally given me a short break. I'm concerned about leaving him in there for very long, but for those moments when he's fussy (not really wanting to nurse, but not really NOT wanting to nurse) it really helps. Also, sometimes I need to make something to eat or I will fall over, you know? Anyway, I've definitely experienced this too! You are not alone!

It is kind of comforting to know that this happens to other people, I thought I must be doing something wrong. I have had one of those nights that brought me to tears because she wouldn't stop nursing and after a while your body gets tired. Our mornings are good, its evenings and nights. I did start giving one bottle at night of breastmilk. This way my husband can feed her and I could take a shower. And this will slowly start her on bottles for when I go back to work in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by JillED View Post
    It seems like whenever my baby is awake she wants to be nursing. I started giving her a bottle before bed so my husband could feed her. But even after a bottle she acts like she wants to nurse. I feel like that all I do is sit on the couch and feed her. I love the time I get to spend with her, but sometimes need a break. Some people say its a growth spurt but it has been going on for 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

She is 3 weeks old by the way.

My baby is seven weeks old and still loves to comfort nurse. I call it that because thats what she uses it for sometimes, she's not really nursing to eat so much as she's doing it as a comfort thing, kinda like a pacifier. I dont mind so much anymore and I just watch tv while she's on. In the beginning I felt like you do, as if she was attached to me 24/7 (she kinda was lol) and yes, some of it is growth spurt but those only last a couple of days. Mine now nurses every three hours on the dot unless shes very restless and tired and can't fall to sleep on her own. If offered a pacifier she now spits it out lol! I guess she'd rather have me. Hang in there, i'm sure your little one will find a good schedule soon and if not, enjoy this time because it truly doesnt last forever. Take it as a compliment from your baby, she loves you and finds comfort in your presence and warmth even when shes not necessarily hungry.