Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP - Reverse Cycling is killing me

Default HELP - Reverse Cycling is killing me

My DS is 5 mos and started reverse cycling about 1 week after I returned to work. I didn't realize that's what it was until recently.
    He starting waking 2-3 times a night. This I could handle. The pediatrician said it was due to nutritional needs.

1. We tried giving him more EBM at each feeding and he wouldn't take it.
    2. We tried giving him half bottle between his normal feedings. He wouldn't take it.
    3. We tried giving him solids at night. Doesn't work.
    4. We tried giving him solids during the day. He won't eat it.

I am fine with him nursing at night. He sleeps in a Baby Hammock right next to me. But, lately he is eating every 1-2 hrs. I work a 40-50 hr work week and am barely functioning. I am not comfortable with him sleeping in the bed with my DH and I. Our bed is too small and I am very uncomfortable in the position I have to sleep to accommodate the baby.

I desparately want to continue BFing. But, this is affecting my health, my work performance and my sanity.

Does anyone know how long this could last????Any advice is appreciated.

Default Re: HELP - Reverse Cycling is killing me

Try reading the book "No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

When you're nursing him at night, make sure he gets a really full belly. Use breast compressions to help him get more. With the added pressure of the compression, he'll automatically eat more, then come off when he's full. You could also wake him up just a little bit to get him to eat more.

Then, when he wakes up in an hour, because he's used to it, he can be coaxed back to sleep with back patting or rubbing, or whatever else works for him.

At his age, he'll probably still be waking a time or two in the middle of the night, but doesn't need to be up every hour!

The book is great, and has some great ideas. I'm sure you can find something that works for you. You can get more sleep, I promise.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Hello. Sorry to hear you are having trouble. You mentioned that you work long hours, and this could possibly be his way of making up for that time he doesn't spend with you. Instead of the hammock, perhaps try taking him right into bed with you and letting him sleep there. I've seen a thing called a Snuggle Nest that you can place between your pillows, and you don't have to worry so much about baby getting covered up. If at all possible, re-think your priorities and see if you can work less hours. Good luck!

My child will go through periods of this as well. I have found he wakes the most at night, every 1-2 hours, when he is sick or teething or going through a growth spurt. I have been currently going through this right now for the past week. Last night I gave him Motrin and I did get 2 hours stretches in. I work full-time and get plently of "touch time" in a day with the sling and and co-sleeping, but truely I found his sleep pattern was most upset by his teeth. Also, if you think your child needs more milk just offer as often as possible before bed, every 30 minutes if you can.

Good luck and this will get better.

What is Reverse Cycling?

Quote Originally Posted by atodhunter
    What is Reverse Cycling?
    Reverse cycling is a term that is used to describe the nursing pattern of a baby who nurses a lot in evening and (or) night time hours rather than the "normal" daytime hours.

This pattern usually arises when the normal pattern of day time nursing is disrupted for some reason. It can be related to distractibility in the baby, a stressful or busy day for mother where she may have not taken time to sit down and nurse like she normally does, or for working moms, it can arise when mother returns to work.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon