Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sippy cups, and what to put in them?

Default Re: Sippy cups, and what to put in them?

We give ds water with dinner sometimes with a tiny bit of white grape or pear juice in it. We've tried the Avent, Nuby, playtex, and the take 'n toss ones and he prefers a regular cup with no lid. Of course he doesn't get to do it on his own...but we'll get there sooner or later!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

so what plastic thing on the avent cup can you take out so you don't have to suck on it? I am starting 6 month old DS on the avent sippy cup with water, but he just bites on it and nothing comes out. I don't think he knows he supposed to suck on it. Any suggestions? So do I need to give him water in a bottle until he learns the sippy or does he not need water?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan's Mommy View Post
    so what plastic thing on the avent cup can you take out so you don't have to suck on it? I am starting 6 month old DS on the avent sippy cup with water, but he just bites on it and nothing comes out. I don't think he knows he supposed to suck on it. Any suggestions? So do I need to give him water in a bottle until he learns the sippy or does he not need water?
    It's a little plastic piece that goes into the lid of the sippy. It makes it so they have to suck, but you can take that piece out and the liquid will pour.

It's shaped like this (with the U's attached to the line- sorry, I can't find a picture of it):
    _______
    U U

If your Avent sippy doesn't have this inside the lid, then maybe I'm getting 2 different cups mixed up . We have several kinds floating around our house!!

You might try attaching a nipple to the avent cup to start with, so he gets used to sucking from it, then switch to the plastic spout once he's used to the cup?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Ha!! Found a picture:
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

With the Avent ones I have I just take the stopper out so the water will just come out. That way she doesnt have to suck her brains out to get water. This is how I taught my first two. First no stopper then eventually I would sometimes put it on when we went places etc. For the no spill effect. She first drank from my water cups and then I tried the sippy and she is really loving it. HTH