Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sippy cups, and what to put in them?

Default Sippy cups, and what to put in them?

My son is 6 months old and beginning solids. I'm trying to have an idea when to start thinking about a sippy cup. How old were your babies when you started sippy cups, and what did they drink? (Meaning water or breast milk? I don't think he's ready for the hard stuff. )

Default Re: Sippy cups, and what to put in them?

Evan started with the Nuby sippy which has a silicone spout and two handles. It doesn't leak at all when turned upside down, he has to bite or suck for liquid to come out. We started with just water, rarely I'll give him a little bit of juice in his water...usually prune-apple juice when he hasn't pooped in a while. I don't have a pump so we've never done BM but I probably would if we had one. I only give him the sippy once in a while...usually when we're out on a walk or if he's eaten lots of banana or something. He actually prefers to just drink water our of my cup though...I'm shocked at how easily he took to it.
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

Lol you answered my next question before I even asked it I was going to ask what kind of cups people liked.

We used water at first. Too much was wasted to use EBM until the kiddos got proficient at the cup. We started around 5-6 months but DS didn't get the hang of it intil about 7 months and DD was a year old before she would use the cup regularly. We like the Take N Toss Little Learners. They're small, cheap and easy to hold.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

we also use the nubby, and occasionally I will just pump an ounce or two out and let her suck on it. she is just learning that when she bites down yummys come out. she is five months and I never transitioned to a bottle because we had a horrendous case of nipple confusion early on and I was too scared. Other than bm we also use water.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Hi, I started around 3 months with just a little water here and there. My lo loved it. I have only put water in it so far. We use the Avent ones without the stopper for now. She still prefers my water cups and grabs at them all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by mommywith3 View Post
    Hi, I started around 3 months with just a little water here and there. My lo loved it. I have only put water in it so far. We use the Avent ones without the stopper for now. She still prefers my water cups and grabs at them all the time!
    This sounds like me!! Except we tried to put bm in the sippy early on, but she never would drink it and I didn't want to waste it, so we stopped. But I like the avent sippys because you can put in the little plastic thing that makes you have to suck on it or you can take it out and it works like a regular sippy OR you can put the avent nipple on it and it works like a bottle.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We use the Nuby too. My guy seems to make it leak though. He chews on it so that's why I think it leaks.
    We've only done water in it. I may try some BM soon, as my husband thinks going beyond a year is weird to BF. I've compromised and said I'd "start" weaning at a year. But I don't want to!!!!

Weird! I just had that conversation with my hubby yesterday. Our dd is about to turn one and I never thought he'd have a problem with it, but I was telling him that baby-led weaning can take a long time he said something about, "how long? I mean, you're not gonna be bfing her when she's 2 or 3 or anything, are you?" I told him that the WHO reccomends at least 2 years and that the world average age for bfing was 4 years old and he was really impressed. I dunno if I changed his mind, but he didn't say anything else about cutting her off.

Maybe giving your hubby more info would open him up to relaxing about his ideas of what's weird and what's good for the baby.

Whoa! Sorry to change the subject!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

DD will be 10 months on Friday and we've just started playing with sippy cups this week. She has Gerber ones, a hard spout and a soft spout, and only plays with either of them. She'll put the spout in her mouth but just chew on it. I don't even think the soft spout lets liquid come out w/ just chewing. (It's funny to listen to, though... I hear the squeaking as her li'l teeth scrape against the soft spout. lol) Oh and there's just water in there. I almost exclusively drink water myself, so when DD is weaned I'm hoping DD will do the same.
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food