Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? about block feeding

Default ? about block feeding

Specifically, how do you handle the last feeding at night and the first in the morning? For example, I gave my left breast at 6pm and the right one at 8pm and put the baby down. Now I don't have a feeding until 4am which means that the left one will go 10 hours? By 7 or 8 hours I'm in horrible pain, which is why I typically wake DS at 4am for a feeding. God knows how long he'd sleep otherwise.

So do I do my best to suffer through the 10 hours on one breast or do I do both breasts for the final feeding? Also, should that last 8pm feeding be the same breast every day? I have the same questions about the 4am and 7/8am feedings.

And yes, DH is on his way to buy cabbage right now. The fool is looking forward to it. I think the combination of boobies and cabbage must be every Polish man's dream.

TIA for any help. I really do appreciate the help and support I get here.

Default Re: ? about block feeding

Have you tried nursing baby at 8 p.m. on whatever breast you want to then waking him before you go to bed to nurse the other side? Or have you tried nursing him at 8 p.m. and pumping the other side immediately after? If you don't need any stored milk, perhaps you could donate it? So, if you drain both breasts completely at 8 p.m. then wake baby up to nurse on one side (or both) then you could wake him about 5 hours later (assuming that the very last nursing session was around 11 p.m.) and nurse him on one side (pump the other side if needed, but only to relieve any discomfort) then at 7/8 a.m. use the other breast.

The best thing you can do is listen to your own body's cues knowing that milk supply depends almost entirely upon breast milk removal. Lessen the amount of milk that is removed from the breast and you'll make less milk. Perhaps you just need to take a very slow approach to this, by decreasing breast stimulation very, very slowly over the period of several weeks?

Please let us know if the cabbage leaves help you.

Last night he woke up unexpectedly around 11pm and was very upset, so he got the other side then. Normally, since he's been sleeping 8hours on his own consistently for some time, I didn't think it would be good to get him to start sleeping less. I'm just trying to learn how to deal with it. Besides, he's not very good at nursing in his sleep. When I do finally wake him because I'm in pain after 8 hours, he only takes a little.

I definatly feel something when I use the cabbage leaves. I put them on for 20 minutes before I went to bed and before I was really engorged hoping that they would do something to let me sleep for a while. Afterwards, I felt very full, but wasn't hard.

The thing about taking less milk out is that DS isn't getting too much, except at that one 4am feeding. It seems like he's eating more often now that I'm giving him only one side, but it's too soon to say that for sure.
    Last edited by pipsmom; May 31st, 2006 at 09:10 AM.

I have had some of the same issues as you. My dd seems to nurse much more now that I only offer one side per feeding, but she is content when she is done eating. She eats about every 2-3 hours during the day, but sleeps away at night. I usually just feed her at 7-8 on one side and then wake her at about 11 to feed her before I go to bed. She then doesn't usually wake up until about 5am, and I just nurse off the side that wasn't used last. Then she wakes again 3 hours later. At first by breasts were so full, I'd offer the second side at 5am just for some relief, but I think my body has figured all this out, because now after a couple weeks of this, they don't get engorged. Maybe your body will regulate after a while...My supply during the day has not diminished, just that I don't get overly-full at night anymore. HTH
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Thanks Jenny - how old is your DD? I'm glad for you that it only took a few weeks to adjust. My DS is just over 4mo and he's been sleeping 8hours for nearly 6weeks and hasn't wanted that midnight feeding.

DD is 3.5 months. I don't think she particularly cares for the 11 o'clock feeding because she is NOT happy when I wake her up but for my own sake I guess I force it on her . She's the type of kid though, that when she's awake, she wants to eat, and she's fairly easy to wake up...you changer her position at all and she's rarin to go! I guess I don't know what to recommend since your little one doesn't want to get up and doesn't nurse well while sleeping...except taking advantage of maybe pumping that one time during the day and having some milk stored up? If you are like me though, you pump as little as possible because it seems that if I pump, my supply goes haywire!! Good Luck!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

So I wore the cabbage leaves to bed again last night. I woke the baby just before 4am (the night before I didn't set an alarm and he slept til 5!!, I think I need to adjust to 4am first.). I was very full and uncomfortable, but I wasn't rock hard or in pain!!! Yea! I'm not sure if it was the cabbage or the block feeding. This is the problem with introducing two things at once.

The only problem is that I've been getting a very hard lump in the left breast pretty regularly, which I imagine is a clogged duct. I've had it in the same spot before, but usually only when I was painfully rock hard. Now I'm getting it during the day too and I suspect it's because of the block feeding.

I've been block feeding for four days - do I stop and try only the cabbage to relieve my nighttime engorgement? I'm worried about have a reoccurring clogged duct.

Hmm.... I'm delighted to hear that there's some improvement in your nighttime engorgement. I wouldn't worry about figuring out whether it was the block feeding or the cabbage that helped -- perhaps it needed both of them to help you turn the corner.

What did you do last night? How is that clogged duct in your breast today?

If I'm correct in my understanding of clogged ducts, chronic oversupply is one possible cause. Since we know you've been dealing with overproduction at night, I think reversing the progress you've made on that front is not likely to help avoid future clogged ducts. I would treat the clogged duct as a separate thing -- try the standard recommendations for getting rid of it and for avoiding them in future, and keep up the block feeding and cabbage for the time being.

--Rebecca

The cabbage worked last night while I slept with it. I replaced it around 2am and took it out after the 4am snack. But by 8am was engorged again. But it wasn't painful - which is huge! So, still working on it, but very happy with progress although I'm not sure baby is. He seems to eat more often and be less satisfied when he only gets one boobie. The clogged duct seems to be better today.

The only annoying thing yesterday is a cousin I happened to be on the phone with last night who laughed at me and said "oh, bf doesn't hurt"! Given what I've been through and that she's prone to telling me how I feel, I went off on her a little. Where does she get off telling me how I feel and how my pregnancy was or how what my body is doing? She's so ignorant! OK, rant over.

Thanks for checking in with me!

This sounds like excellent progress! So glad to hear it's working.

Quote Originally Posted by pipsmom
    very happy with progress although I'm not sure baby is. He seems to eat more often and be less satisfied when he only gets one boobie.

Yeah, this happened when I was block feeding too, to correct a mild foremilk/hindmilk imbalance thing. My son went from nursing about every 2.5 hours to every 90 minutes through the day. But I didn't have to block feed forever, and I doubt you will, either.

One step at a time -- solve your nighttime pain (and yes, dear cousin, breastfeeding really can hurt!), and then you can experiment with offering both breasts again.

Oh -- and I've been wondering -- did your Polish husband start dreaming about cabbage?? LOL. I hope he doesn't eat your fridge stash of leaves just yet!

--Rebecca