Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I can't do this

Default I can't do this

I know at 9 months there is a growth spurt but I am seriously drying up and I am serious. She is getting nothing out so I am having to give her a bottle 2x a day now b/c well she is starving or so it seems. During the day I let her latch on for as long as she wants but it is not helping. I am taking the Fenugreek again. She's starting to sleep all night, so could that be why my supply is decreasing? I used to feel let downs, I no longer do and I used to leak around the time she nurses and I don't anymore. All this started 3 weeks ago and I am becomming irritated not to mention her slow weight gain and behind on her milestones. I am very confused about what in the world is going on with my body. I had my 1st period a little over a week ago and boy my supply took a nose dive when it came. She's not consistently gaining weight, in 8 weeks she didn't gain 1lb. Solids aren't filling her up or doing much for her weight gain issues. My son weihed about 16lbs when he was 1 year old but he was FF.
    Last edited by PoisonousBlonde_81; October 2nd, 2007 at 12:11 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

Default Re: I can't do this

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles.

Have you spoken to your pediatrician or a lactation consultant yet?

Well all I can offer you is my experience in the hopes that you know you're no alone. My supply also has changed to what may seem to be falling, but it's not. after 1 year it seemed I finally got on track with his needs. I no longer felt the letdowns evertime, if at all. His weight gain had all but stopped and it was frustrating, but his output was fine - he was fussy when I triedto do something else, but was content on the boob... he's my little 'boob-tick'. They slow down in weight and since it seems her weight has been slower - shes been consistent. WHat does the doc say - ? I can't imagine they'd be concerned if her gain is conststant...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I know how it feels when your precious one is not gaining weight, I have a small one too and have been having weight gain problem since he was 5 months (he is 9.5mo now). And for the past 2.5 months, he had not put on ANY weight.

I hardly feel a letdown nowadays but I think that is quite normal after you've been BF for some time. And it is worse when its around my period time, I dont get letdowns and supply goes way way down.

My only advise is try to keep your supply up - have you tried oats? That helped me a lot. I have to take oats everyday now or else I can immediately notice a dip on the day I miss. Also do you pump? Maybe just pump even though nothing comes out.

Since you are feeding her solids, go for high protein/high fat food, this is what my doc advised me. I feed my LO a lot of chicken and yogurt. Try avocado and cheese too.

What milestone is she behind on? And is she getting enough diaper output? Does she seem content? I keep reminding myself that as long as DS is happy and healthy I shouldnt worry about his weight, and that really helps.

Hang in there.. you are not alone. I was going crazy about my LOs weight until I found this forum and the support I need.

Now this is just what our Ped told us, I dont know if you you were told any different. She said that it is common for breastfed babies to gain and gain until about six months their weight gain slows down quite a bit. Breastmilk is so easy to digest, and it is absorbed so quickly and as they get older they are more active, so their weight gain is much slower. What is her weight now?
    My son was 18 lbs at 6 months, and at almost 9 months, he is about 20 lbs.
    Are you doing anything else to boost your supply other than fenugreek? Oatmeal, increasing fluid intake, vitamins??
    Hang in there, I hope things get better from here

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I would definately call your pedi.

I'm going through supply issues as well and it sounds kind'a similar to mine. Once I stopped not only feeling letdowns but having them I knew my supply had taken a huge hit. I'm having good luck w/ the fenugreek although I have had to take an enormous amount. The pedi told me to take more and I'm upto 7 pills 3 times a day which gave my supply the extra boost I needed.

Mostly calming myself down and de-stressing has been the key. I'm being treated for PPD and I think once the stress goes the milk comes back.

Lastly, its normal to not leak after breastfeeding for such a long time. At first I was in a panic but now I'm thrilled to leave the house minus boob pads.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by selina21 View Post

I hardly feel a letdown nowadays but I think that is quite normal after you've been BF for some time.

My only advise is try to keep your supply up - have you tried oats? I like oatmeal cookies)

Since you are feeding her solids, go for high protein/high fat food.

What milestone is she behind on? And is she getting enough diaper output? Does she seem content? I keep reminding myself that as long as DS is happy and healthy I shouldnt worry about his weight, and that really helps.
    Diaper output is a good indicator of whether your LO is getting enough to eat/drink.

Quote Originally Posted by hlstevens View Post
    She said that it is common for breastfed babies to gain and gain until about six months their weight gain slows down quite a bit. Breastmilk is so easy to digest, and it is absorbed so quickly and as they get older they are more active, so their weight gain is much slower. What is her weight now?
    This is what happened with my DD and she is perfectly healthy. Very little weight gain between 6 and 12 mos, maybe a couple of pounds if I recall correctly. There is actually a separate growth chart for BF babies versus FF babies, I believe put out by the World Health Organization (WHO). So your LO may not be as off track as you think. Also a baby's increased mobility during the later part of the first year causes a slow down in weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    Lastly, its normal to not leak after breastfeeding for such a long time. At first I was in a panic but now I'm thrilled to leave the house minus boob pads.
    It is normal not to feel letdown and not to leak after you have been bfing for a while. Does your LO seem content after a feeding? Is she sucking/swallowing? I know my breasts seemed to soften up at about the 9 month mark as well.

Good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on