Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is it REALLY ok if she only takes 1 side a feeding?

Default is it REALLY ok if she only takes 1 side a feeding?

sorry for soo many questions....

Sometimes DD will only take 1 side for a feeding, not necessarily b/c she is full, but i literally cannot wake her to take the other side. I have heard of women doing this, but i'm concerned about the effect it may have on my supply, as i think we're still establishing it (feeding every 2-3 hrs) I also have heard every feeding baby should be stimulating each breast in order to maintain supply. i try sometimes 1/2 an hour to wake her, then she will feed for 5 min and sleep. Sometimes i just CAN'T wake her so she only gets one side...

I am concerned still, i want to make sure nursing 'works' for us.

Default Re: is it REALLY ok if she only takes 1 side a feeding?

I'm not sure exactly how to reply except to let you know that you sound like you are really doing a great job! I know how rough those first weeks are! I think it is recommended that baby takes both breasts at first to establish a good supply...I'm not sure when that changes. My baby only nurses on one side now, but she was over 2 months old before we started doing that. I guess if she is growing well, gaining, and having sufficient wet/poopy diapers, that would tell me your supply is good. I know that sometimes it is next to impossible to get baby to wake up to eat more...I would think that if she is satisfied after one side, that would be sufficient, I mean, aren't we supposed to let baby decide how much to eat after all?? I dunno, I'm far from a consultant, I've never made a year of bf with my first 2 children, but I'm trying and learning right along with you! Hope you find your answers!! The ladies on here are very knowledgable and I'm sure they will be of more help than I!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Don't worry about it -- just offer the 2nd breast (maybe after changing her diaper to try to wake her up), and if she doesn't take it, no big deal. Just be sure to nurse on cue and start on that 2nd breast with the next feeding.

--Rebecca

I wouldn't worry at all! I used to only do one breast because I thought that was what you were supposed to do so that baby would get hind milk. I have had no problems with supply. Besides, if milk production is supposed to increase when the baby needs more as she gets older, then later on when she starts switching to the other breast won't that other breast respond? My two cents...I think you'll be fine.

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My little guy did this too. He would eat one side for 5-7 minutes, then, IF I could wake him up, take maaaybe 3-4 on the other side, but not very often, and it was very stressful trying to "force" him to wake up and eat and then counting every minute he was on there. Finally, since his diaper count was great, I just let him sleep and started the next feeding with the opposite breast. There were also some good posts on here about 5-minutes nursers and that made me feel a lot better, since in the hospital they told me to try to feed him 20 minutes per side each time. Yeah, right! Not this child!

Now, at 12 weeks, he eats around 10 minutes on one side and takes the other side about 75% of the time. ...Well, at least he did up until the last few days; he's been in a growth spurt and takes both sides every hour while he's awake! I'm frazzled, but he's happy, so we carry on!

I guess in answer to your post, I'm just saying that WE did only 1 side per feeding for the first two months or so, and my milk supply has been just right for DS. Good luck!

My DS ALMOST NEVER took both sides at a feeding until he was close to a year old. If you are feeding on cue, she has plenty of wet and poopy diapers, and she gains weight, then she's fine.