Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: another poop thread.poop or lack there of

Default another poop thread.poop or lack there of

ok Im a little concerned. while I know breastfeed babies can go extended periods of time with no #2 isn't two weeks a bit excessive. She has had some squirts here and there but other than that just farts. can someone tell me how she can eat so much 7-10 times a day and still no poo. she has great urine output!
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Default Re: another poop thread.poop or lack there of

I can I can! It's because breast milk is such perfect food that once their digestive tract matures there is often no waste. So much if it is absorbed right into their developing tissues. If what you are seeing is the color and consistency of peanut butter, your fine. Hard dark pellets indicate constipation. But it's is a definite perk of having a breast fed baby. Less poopy diapers!

Way too lazy for formula

I was going to pretty much say the same thing-I even asked our Ped. at his 4 month appointment about this, b/c thats when he started to go longer between poos, and she told me exactly what DJ's mom just said.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

thanks for the reassurance. what an awesome food. Side note went to my peds today and they had formula(enfamil) brochures and pamphlets at the front desk...I was shocked.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Thanks for posting that question and answers. We've started going about 4 days between poops which is quite a difference from the frequent blow-outs in the early weeks... Nice to know everything is ok.

Hi there!

We do count squirts, if the poop is the size of a US quarter or larger, we count it! Like one of the other posters said, breast milk is so easy to digest, and there is just very little waste. Little waste = little poop! (This is for an older infant, in the early weeks, Baby should be pooping 2-5 per day.)

It sounds like you are really enjoying your baby! They grow so fast...

ahhh... phew!! i'm going through this right now as well... glad it's common!