Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is There A Connection?

Default Is There A Connection?

Last week, I left my 4 1/2 month-old with my MIL for 3 1/2 days while I went on a brief family vacation. I pumped enough milk beforehand to last while I was away, and I pumped and dumped while I was away. (Given the circumstances and questionable sanitation of the pump parts, it would have been nearly impossible for me to have brought any milk back with me.)

I have to admit that I missed my little guy more than I could have ever imagined, and while I was afraid that my supply would have taken a hit, I found it to be quite the opposite case. I felt my letdown very frequently and had nothing but productive pumping sessions while I was gone. I literally ached that my son wasn't breastfeeding at the breast and that I only had the pump or my hands to rely on in order to empty my breasts.

Since I've returned, I hardly feel my letdown, but I'm so satisfied to have the milk bar running at its fullest potential.

My question is, is there a connection between being away from baby like that and one's supply?

Ashley
    Proud mommy to Michael Evan born May 11, 2007.

Default Re: Is There A Connection?

That was your connection to him while you were away. You were pumping for him and maybe with the double pumping, it did boost your supply. Glad it worked out! I have to go for 2 days in November and I hope it will be ok for me too. Usually I cannot get it all out with the pump and can't wait to get home for the girls to drain me and get out the little lumps, it's going to be hard...I'm going to miss them so much. I hope I can bring home the milk but you are right the pumping is the important part. Hope you had a nice mini-vacation and glad the milk-bar is full