Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long for feeds

Default How long for feeds

My ds is 6 weeks and tends to spit up a lot if I overfeed. How long should a feed normally last. He only eats from one side usually. He stops eating after about 5 to 8 min but I can keep offering until 10 min. When I do that he spits up. However, I feel like 5 min is so short so when he cries again after 1.5 to 2 hours I don't know if it's because he's hungry or tired. How long should he be averaging at each meal?

Default Re: How long for feeds

I am having the same issues except my son (7 weeks old) eats for a lot longer. He normally eats for 30-40 minutes. Sometimes he spits up alot and sometimes he doesn't spit up at all. I really don't have an answer for you but maybe someone else can give both of us advice.

Thanks and good luck.

My daughter goes in spurts, sometimes for 10 minutes sometimes, like last night for 3 hours with 10 minute breaks. She spits up sometimes, just a little bit but I figure it is normal for babies to do that, just thankfully it is only breastmilk and not nasty smelling formula. I wouldn't be too worried about spitting up unless it a mega lot and then you should call their doctor.

Hi, Mine started to only eat 3-4 minutes at a feeding around 6 weeks. Just now at 6 months she is going a bit longer about 10 minutes if I am lucky. She has always been a quick eater. I know it gets confusing when they eat so quick. As long as they are gaing and having good diaper output I wouldnt worry.

Oh my gosh, I wish my child would eat for 3-4 minutes. He eats for a long time and I feel like I can't get much done around the house. Hopefully, he will get faster as he gets older.

You may just have more of a snacker on your hands. DS always ate quickly and frequently (and spit up quite a bit, too) and that was just his pattern. Learning to follow your baby's cues now about how long/frequently he wants to eat will be helpful to you in the long run. Trusting your lo to get what he needs can be challenging, but I have personally found it a very rewarding experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyturtle View Post
    My ds is 6 weeks and tends to spit up a lot if I overfeed. How long should a feed normally last. He only eats from one side usually. He stops eating after about 5 to 8 min but I can keep offering until 10 min. When I do that he spits up. However, I feel like 5 min is so short so when he cries again after 1.5 to 2 hours I don't know if it's because he's hungry or tired. How long should he be averaging at each meal?
    My daughter is seven weeks old and she feeds about 7-10 minutes on each side, sometimes 10 on one side and 2 or three on the other lol. I always listen for the swallowing sounds to stop and look for cues that she's filling up like her eyes getting sleepy looking or her sucking slowing dramatically. If she's really hungry she can drain each side in five minutes or less. As long as he's got plenty of wet diapers and is gaining weight then he's fine. If you are confused when he wakes crying and you don't know if he's tired or hungry try changing his diaper and entertaining him, if that doesnt work try putting him back to sleep and if that still doesnt work then let him feed. You can't feed him too much even if you tried because he'll stop feeding when he's had enough. Just keep offering till he pushes it away or closes the mouth to be sure he's had enough (thats what I have to do to make sure lol). Some babies go three hours between meals, others go thirty minutes, it really depends on your baby.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

If your LO is having enough wet and poopy diapers and is gaining weight, I wouldn't worry about it. My 8 mo has been feeding 5-10 min on one side only since 3 weeks old! Sometimes longer, but usually it's just about that long. Your LO probably has just gotten more efficient at removing milk.

It is really hard to tell. I believe, spit is also normal. It's better to overfeed than underfeed it.

Quote Originally Posted by mommywith3 View Post
    Hi, Mine started to only eat 3-4 minutes at a feeding around 6 weeks. Just now at 6 months she is going a bit longer about 10 minutes if I am lucky. She has always been a quick eater. I know it gets confusing when they eat so quick. As long as they are gaing and having good diaper output I wouldnt worry.

that's how my daughter is. i'm glad someone else has the same kind of eater. she'll be 6 weeks on tuesday