Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cows milk versus soya milk

Default Cows milk versus soya milk

Has anyone done any research about soya formula milk? I have found out alot of striking info on cows milk. I have now decided to give my baby soya milk instead of breast milk once i stop breastfeeding. I am from the UK and the professionals are aganist this and say i should give her soya only if she has a serious cows millk allergy. Any views, info sharing?

Default Re: Cows milk versus soya milk

I started my dd#1 on soy milk due to lactose intolerance (temporary as it turns out from rotovirus). Now, I read a lot of negative info on soy and wish I hadn't started her on it. She's now 2.5 years old and I am having a tough time transitioning her to cow's milk now. My point is not to say soy is bad - I don't know and wish I did - for every negative on soy, I read either a positive on it or a negative on cow's milk. My point is actually - make sure of which one you want to go with b/c lo will get used to it and not want to change later.

Amy

Hi, I posted this on another thread. I have heard alot of bad things about soy. Its best to do your research and make a choice then. I put some links below also that may help. HTH

Two vegan parents have been convicted of murder and given life sentences in prison for starving their 6-week-old baby to death.

Though the parents may have thought they were doing the right thing, they were feeding their child a completely inadequate combination of soy milk and apple juice along with a small, but insufficient, amount of breast milk.

Now, soy experts are again calling for clear and proper warning labels on all soy milk products -- indicating that it should NEVER be used in place of infant formula -- following this and several other babies' hospitalizations or deaths under similar circumstances.

Soy infant formula, which currently constitutes 25 percent of the bottle-fed market, is required by law to be heavily supplemented with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fatty acids that are not found in brands of soy milk. Though it does not pose an immediate danger to babies, as is the case with soy milk, the Israeli Health Ministry, French Food Agency, British Dietetic Associations and other government bodies have warned parents and pediatricians that it poses health risks to the developing baby and should only be used as a last resort.

WholeSoyStory.com May 11, 2007

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

Soy milk does not contain the nutrients that children need for their growth. In fact, the idea that soy milk is healthy, in and of itself, is a complete myth. Feeding your baby soy milk will lead to severe vitamin, mineral, fatty acid and amino acid deficiencies that can clearly be deadly.

Soy infant formula is not a healthy alternative; it is one of the worst foods you can give your child.

Soy formula poses some serious health hazards, including:

ADD/ADHD, brain damage, and altered behavior due to very high levels of manganese
    Thyroid disease and interference with proper reproductive development due to elevated isoflavone levels; a soy-fed baby receives the equivalent of five birth control pills' worth of estrogen every day, and they have isoflavone levels 13,000 to 22,000 times higher than normal
    Speech disturbances and reduced brain function, as it contains more than 1,000 percent more aluminum than conventional milk-based formulas
    Please, never, ever feed your baby (or any child under the age of 18) soy infant formula or soy milk. And remember, this includes all organic varieties as well.

What you should feed your babies is the food nature intended: breast milk. Studies have also shown that babies who are breastfed exclusively have better functioning immune systems, as well as added protection against:

Heart disease
    Immune system cancers such as lymphoma
    Asthma and allergies
    Respiratory infections
    Eczema
    Type 1 and type 2 diabetes

http://www.wholesoystory.com/index.php?pageID=Home

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jun/13/soy_formula.htm

http://www.notmilk.com/

How old will your baby be when you plan to wean? I'm assuming at least one year, since you are talking about cow's milk rather than formula - or did you mean cow's milk formula vs. soy formula?

Personally, I would go with the cow's milk. Here's my reasoning: Biologically, studies have shown the likely natural age of human weaning is probably somewhere between age 2 1/2 and 6. Humans have needed to start using cow's milk (or other alternatives) to give to children when they wean, because most mothers wean before this biologically normal age. So, the cow's milk (or other alternative) is a substitute for breastmilk. While cow's milk is quite different than human milk, it is a much closer substitute than soy milk (which isn't really milk at all). I don't know about there being anything really WRONG with soy milk (haven't researched it much), but it is further from the natural thing than another animal milk would be.

My son is allergic to dairy, we are still bf, but I have soy milk to give him if he by chance should choose to drink it, which so far he has not.

As far as soy milk leading to vitamin and mineral deficiencies, just make sure you buy enriched soy milk. If you compare the soy milk to the organic cow milk I buy for my daughter, the soy milk has MORE vitamins and minerals than cow's milk. FWIW, cow's milk is not nutritionally complete on its own, otherwise it would not be fortified with vitamin A and D.

For the extra fat, you can add a tbls of oil to the milk, and just make sure your lo is getting enough protien, which soy milk has almost as much as cow's milk.

I have been reading a little bit about soy and have read some bad things, but just as you said, I keep reading bad things about cow's milk as well. I think by nature, we were meant to bf longer than deemed 'socially' acceptable, and it just seems that it is not realistic anymore. We are doing extended nursing, but it sure as heck won't be until he's four, so if he is not able to do cow's milk (even if he is) we may stick with rice or soy, because as mammals, it just does not make sense to me why we would be drinking another animals milk for nourishment. This of course does not mean I will never eat cheese again