Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First finger food ideas of non-cooking mom

Default First finger food ideas of non-cooking mom

Hello, I need help! I am not so great in the kitchen...I got the baking gene and not the cooking gene. My LO is 11 months old and I feel like I should be giving him more "regular foods" instead of the purees. He only has 2 teeth (on the bottom) but seems to know how to "chew" fairly well. So far, the only "real food" I have given him are baked potato pieces, macaroni noodles, cheerios, puffs, and grilled cheese pieces.

I am HORRIBLE in the kitchen and need some advice and ideas on preparing healthy finger foods.

Thanks!

Default Re: First finger food ideas of non-cooking mom

I don't like to cook either but I give my LO a lot of regular food just cut up. When I do cook I give him whatever we're having (if it's healthy). I buy the blocks of cheese and cut that for him. Any fruits that are ripe you can cut up. I buy the bags of frozen veggies ( brocilli, cauliflour, carrots, peas) it only takes a minute or so to steam them in the micowave. Yogurt, oatmeal, pasta, scrambled egg (that's cooking but not much ) He mostly eats fruits and veggies which are really easy to steam and cut up. Hope that helps

I agree what every your having is fine.
    About the only thing that I ground was meats just because its easier then chopping your fingers off trying to cut it with a knife.

Fruits, steamed veggies, dried cereals are all easy. My lo looooves cheese quesadillas, black beans (from a can, rinsed and just heated through), rice and things like that. I do noodles, too, but I try to get whole wheat ones- I figure that way, at least she's getting fiber.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Smile Re: First finger food ideas of non-cooking mom

Try fruit like apples, pears and bananas, whole but peeled. My LO is 8mos and loves to play/eat whole fruit, and it is super easy... I just eat the peels off of the apples and pears!

Fishfingers are good they are softer to eat than meat. Try thin cold cooked hams in pork, beef and chicken very easy to eat, I found my LOs didn't like the feel of minced meat in their mouths so the meat side of things was very difficult. Forget chicken nuggets they can be like bullets!

Thanks for all the great ideas...this has been very helpful. We are going to start with some steamed veggies tonight! Another question...how often are your 11 month olds still nursing?

My dd is about to turn one and I work full-time, so I may not be the best guage, but I nurse once in the morning, once when I get home (a quick 'hello' nursing), a longer one to put her to sleep, then again about 12-1am, and usually again in the wee morning hours. On weekends, she usually nurses once, maybe twice during the time I would be at work.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

DD's almost 10 months and she still nurses about 6-7 times a day and once at night. But our solids use is very sporadic. One day will go by and I'll set up her tray w/ some food, another day I'll feed her some purees, and then other times I'm too lazy to make solids for her at all. I'm not confident enough yet to just let her eat things off of my plate.
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food