Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight gain

Default Weight gain

I just returned from my 2 month check up with my 9 week old and found out that she only gained a couple of ounces in the past 3 weeks. At prior appointments, she had been gaining wonderfully, I was expecting her to weigh much more at this appointment. I have been feeling like she is eating less and I am concerned. Had anyone dealt with a decreased supply or a decrease in weight gain around this age?
    I really don't want to start supplimenting, but it breaks my heart to think that she is not gaining well enough.

Default Re: Weight gain

Has she been sick at all? That can sometimes impact weight gain.

Nope, she hasn't really been sick. We did discover that she has a dairy sensitivity, but I've been off the dairy for most of the past 3 weeks, so I don't understand why she wouldn't have gained much weight. She is spitting up much less now than she used to. I'm concerned about my supply and the fact that she doesn't nurse for very long...10 to 15 minutes total. (20 minutes occassionally, but only after a long stretch of sleeping) I'm afraid that I'm not giving her enough, but I've never taken her off the breast. I always let her finish. It's especially frustrating because due to her sensitivity I am now off dairy completely (particularly hard, as I'm already a vegetarian), she has a tight frenulum, so it takes a lot of focus on my part to keep her latched, otherwise I get terrible nipple pain, plus we are also getting over our second bout of thrush. I've never minded going through all this because I know it's best for my daughter, but to feel like she is not gaining enough weight on top of everything else. That was the one thing that was really keeping me going, seeing her put on the pounds and know that I was helping her grow and thrive so well. Now I find myself getting really discouraged and saddened.

Wow! You've already been dealing with a lot! It's possible that your baby's tight frenulum combined with thrush (sore mouth?) have combined to make her not very efficient at nursing-- that is, not "milking" the breast effectively. For the first 4-6 weeks or so postpartum, your milk supply is hormonally driven-- you had a baby, so you make milk. After that time it begins to switch to a "demand and supply" system. If the breast is not mostly emptied (it's never completely empty), the milk left in the breast tells your body to slow down production.

The amount of time she nurses is not necessarily unusual; do you feel that she is satisfied with the feeding or is she just tired from working to stay latched? My son was tongue-tied so I can imagine how finicky you've had to be about her latch. Have you considered having her frenulum clipped? In my experience an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) doctor will likely be the best to talk with regarding options and/or treatment. I have not found any evidence that a tight lingual frenulum will "loosen" on it's own.

How often does she nurse? More frequent, effective nursing will help to increase milk supply. Are you seeing lots of wet and poopy diapers? It's normal for a breastfed baby's weight gain to slow a bit sometime between 4 and 6 months of age, but your dd is a bit younger than this. What is *your* "gut" sense of what is happening?

Just some ideas....
    Dawn