Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I use a pacifier?

Question Should I use a pacifier?

Baby Peter is 8 weeks old. His sleeping schedule at night time is as follows:

8:00 - bedtime
    2:00 - good feeding, diaper change
    5:00 - good feeding, diaper change
    7:30 - 5 minute feeding, right back to sleep
    8:30 - wake up

My question is, should I simply give him a pacifier at 7:30 (do you think he just needs a "suck"?); that way I get a 6 hr, 3 hr, 3 hr sleep?

Any opinions?

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Should I use a pacifier?

If your LO has already regained his birthweight and is having enough wet and poopy diapers, I'd try giving it to him in the morning. If he spits it out and cries, that'll mean he's hungry!

He has gained a lot of weight!! So there is no worry there...

Do you mean try giving the pacifier at 7:30 to see if he'll just fall back asleep?

That's how we did it. When he was waking up but not taking a full feeding, I would try the paci. If he went right back to sleep, YEAH for us! But if he still fussed, I fed him. I started that around 2.5/3 mo's and he started skipping a night feed at a time as he was ready. Now he is 5 months and sleeps 7-8 hours (Most nights!) Hope you get some sleep!

I personally would not give him a paci just for that reason alone. I give dd2 one when she is over tired and all she does is suckle the nipple. However, 8 times out of 10 she will not take it.

Just my opinion.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyPeter View Post
    Baby Peter is 8 weeks old. His sleeping schedule at night time is as follows:

8:00 - bedtime
    2:00 - good feeding, diaper change
    5:00 - good feeding, diaper change
    7:30 - 5 minute feeding, right back to sleep
    8:30 - wake up

My question is, should I simply give him a pacifier at 7:30 (do you think he just needs a "suck"?); that way I get a 6 hr, 3 hr, 3 hr sleep?

Any opinions?

I think the recommendation is wait until they're past 6 weeks to ensure a good nursing relationship is established. You have passed that mark... but be sure to know giving him a paci. won't ensure that much needed block of sleep! But good luck!!!!!

Here's
    a link with some info you might find useful!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I'd say give it a shot. I wouldn't necessarily introduce at night, though. I mean, for the first time, introduce it during the day. (In case he gets irritated/confused.) We tried to introduce the paci a number of times starting around 8 weeks. However, it wasn't until about 10 weeks that she'd take it (though you'd still have to hold it for her) and then only until 13 weeks that she'd take and keep it in her mouth until she feel asleep. We tried a number of different kinds of pacifiers thinking that was the problem but now that she uses it as soothing mechanism, she'll take most any variety. At this age I think they have to decide that they are willing to take the substitute and it might take a while for them to become accustomed to it. Good luck.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by cmp12345 View Post
    If your LO has already regained his birthweight and is having enough wet and poopy diapers, I'd try giving it to him in the morning. If he spits it out and cries, that'll mean he's hungry!
    Oops, I meant you can try giving the paci at 7:30 (not the morning)