Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating for4 hrs straight??

Default Eating for4 hrs straight??

My DD last night was up from 9pm-1:30am and all it seemed she wanted to do was nurse. But as soon as I'd put her up to breast, she'd nurse a bit and than fall asleep.....I'd put her down in her crib thinking she was done...but just as soon as I went to lay down she would wake up crying like she was hungry again...she is 2 weeks old.

Is this normal for them to want to eat that long in a row? But than when they go to breast don't eat much? Maybe she isn't getting enough? We finally got her to sleep by like 3:30am. We thought maybe she was cold and so she wanted to nurse to be warm? Any thoughts or has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Default Re: Eating for4 hrs straight??

My DD did that too – she’s still a comfort nurser. If she is having lots of wet/messy diapers and is gaining weight, you can be sure she is getting enough. Actually, at 2 weeks she is probably just getting back to her birth weight, so I’d focus more on the wet/dirty diaper thing. When I was worried about my dd staying awake long enough to eat, I’d tickle her feet or ears a little and that would wake her up a bit. You can also try taking off some of the blankets or burping her and that helps wake little ones up also.

There are people on this board who know a lot more than I do, but my thought is that this is perfectly normal, or at least it was for us. I think she just feels warm, comforted, and loved nestled right in with her mother. She doesn’t really care that you can’t sleep because she is content and comfortable herself.

Just this weekend my dd nursed for over 2 hours, kind of nursing & sleeping. If my schedule permits it, I usually just let her do it. I figure she is young for such a short time that if that is what she wants to do, I want to let her do it.

I haven’t had much luck with a pacifier, but if you think she has had enough to eat, and is just comfort nursing, and you just need a break, you could try that.

Good luck, and enjoy your new little one!

Have you considered co-sleeping with your dd?
    You might actually get some sleep this way!
    We didn't co-sleep with our two older (didn't bf either) but we co-sleep with our dd now (she's 6.5 months) and we love it and she does too. It's so convienent because when she needs to nurse, I'm right there, and she's conmforted by my presence. She's never had a sleep issue, not once. She will wake up to nurse (now it's only once where as in the early months it was every couple hours) and immediately go back to sleep.

But I would definitely say it's normal and I think she just wants to nuzzle at mommy's breast where she's comfy and cozy.

I remember those days.. only a few short weeks ago. I never thought they would end. Now my DD nurses for 45 minutes before bed and I couldn't wake her if I tried. But yes, it's normal. In fact, I'd lay on the bed with her at 7 and she'd nurse till about 10 or 11.

I agree that trying to let your baby sleep with you in the bed could be the "lifesaver" you need.
    we all know how it is when baby keeps you awake, and if your dd nurses and quickly falls asleep but then wakes when you put her in the crib, try not putting her in the crib. let her lie with you in your bed. That way, she will still feel your closeness and you will be able to nurse her when she needs it without really waking either you up.
    As long as she still has lots of nice wet diapers, then she's getting enough to eat and you shouldnt worry.
    If you really start to suffer from lack of sleep, do you have a dh/ mother/ close friend who can take your dd for a walk for a couple of hours so you can catch up? occasionally my dd kept me awake to the point that I was hysterical, and when it got to that point, my dh would sacrafice 1/2 a night of sleep to give me a good rest. just make sure your baby gets a full belly before you begin! Dont worry, even if baby does get hungry in the middle, it wont kill her to have a late meal if it means having a sane mother, and you can always express some milk into a bottle if it becomes an issue.
    Try it, sometimes one good night is enough to get you going through the tough times!

I had this problem very early on, the remedy was a pacifier and co-sleeping. The moment I would lay my son down in his bassanet, he would wake.

This one is worth weighing in on because the feeling of all these 1st threads are about similar things and maybe if we keep it going a bunch of new Mommies will read it! Co-sleeping will make the difference and here's why; You are all your baby knows. For the last nine months she was with you all the time. Being with you/on you/in you is what she considers normal.Can you imagine how frightening it must be to now have periods of time where she is separated from you and alone in this new & alien big wide open world? Even if co-sleeping is not what you think you want to do long term, you might want to consider it in the beginning. And if your not comfortable actually having her in the bed with you there are attachable co-sleeping bassinets that connect to your bed so she's not in your space but she's with you. So she can smell you and when she wakes up she can sense that she's not alone. Again maybe not forever, those co-sleeping bassinets are made for newborns so probably like the 1st 3 months, but especially during the 1st month of life when infants are just getting used to be outside of their mothers they need to be with you alll the time. Think of it in their terms. New mothers always feel overwhelmed by how much time newborns need to nurse or be held. But even if you hold/nurse your baby for 12hrs a day that's still a 50% decrease in the amount of time they are used to being with you! It's as big of an adjustment for them as it is for us. So part of it is comfort nursing. But part of it is with you is where she is most comfortable.
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; June 16th, 2006 at 11:30 AM.

Post Re: Eating for4 hrs straight??

I couldn't agree with you more. Co-sleeping is perfectly fine...all 4 of my kids co-slept with us. In fact, my 2 yr old still crawls in bed with us in the middle of the night...so it's me, our newborn, our two-yr old then my hubby. Good thing we have a big bed!
    As far as the little ones always wanting their mommies in the early months...it is very hard for my hubby to accept. He is hurt that the newborn wants nothing to do with him. We went through this when I breastfed our two yr old in the beginning. He was not supportive at all and made me feel guilty because he was left out. He is handling things much better this time around, but I can see how hurt he is when she cries if he tries to hold her and then when he returns her to me, she instantly quiets down.

I learned the hard way with my son, who was very colicky- that really stopped after I started co-sleeping with him!!! Now, I have a 4 month old daughter, and she has slept with me since day one. Since my hubby works a ton and really needs sleep, he chose to sleep with our son, and me and my girl sleep together. I do put her down in her crib at first, but after she wakes the first time for a feeding, it's back in bed with me for the rest of the night. She sleeps better with me anyway, and none of us mind the arrangemnet, so it's what works for us.

Ah, all the sleepless nights of sitting up in the rocking chair with my son, trying to get him to go back into his crib. However, with my daughter I have not had one bad night's sleep, even though she has pretty bad reflux. Two things that have helped:

1. Letting her nurse as much and as often as she wanted in the hours leading up to our bedtime (after dinner--around 7 p.m., until around 11 p.m.). I basically just kept her with me while watching TV w/ dh, or chatting with friends if they were over, etc.
    2. Letting her sleep with us. I don't really wake up when she nurses, although if I start to feel full on one side I kind of wake up and switch her to that side.

Just make sure you have a firm mattress and no covers up too high. It helps to wear a long sleeve nursing shirt if you get cold at night so you won't need covers. I sleep with a pillow but I keep one arm above the baby between her head and the pillow. I sleep pretty lightly when sleeping with a little one so I feel that she is safe.