Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help producing MILK!!!!!!

Red face Help producing MILK!!!!!!

I Started breastfeeding my little boy when I returned to work I weaned him off just the boob and got him on good start the formula I do alternate between the two but he drinks more from the bottle then me. I hated pumping it takes so long so I got him on the formula but now my poor baby is constapated and I want to start breastfeeding him again. JUST breastfeeding I started pumping again but not enough is coming out. I know my milk supply has went down because my son was a pig. I really need to know how to increase my milk supply without taking medicine. Somebody anybody please help me

Default Re: Help producing MILK!!!!!!

I need to up my milk supply wihtout taking any kind of medications herbal or or not please help.

Hi! I am no way an expert on breastfeeding, but here is what my lc told me to do: Bf every two hours and pump afterwards for at least 10 minutes on both sides. It worked for me...I actually have more than enough milk now.

Quote Originally Posted by christielee7278
    Hi! I am no way an expert on breastfeeding, but here is what my lc told me to do: Bf every two hours and pump afterwards for at least 10 minutes on both sides. It worked for me...I actually have more than enough milk now.
    What if you don't get any milk during those 10 minutes that you're pumping? Does it still help increase your supply? i tried pumping after feeding, and it felt like it wasn't doing any good because I was getting absolutely nothing.

Here's some info on increasing supply:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html

You can also try the "24-hour cure"... Basically stay in bed all day and night with you baby, leaving only to go to the bathroom or to change the baby, no housework, cooking, etc. Your partner can take the baby for a short time to get some fresh air, but apart from that just stay in bed with the baby and nurse more-or-less non-stop. Baby will sleep of course, but main "activity" should be nursing. After 24 hours, you should see a noticeable increase in your supply.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by aimee123
    What if you don't get any milk during those 10 minutes that you're pumping? Does it still help increase your supply? i tried pumping after feeding, and it felt like it wasn't doing any good because I was getting absolutely nothing.

The stimulation of the pump will still help increase your supply. Don't worry if you're not getting any EBM, especially at first. Just nurse nurse nurse and pump as often as you can manage it -- the more frequently you pump, the faster your milk supply will increase.

What kind of pump do you have? The right pump can make a BIG difference.

Also -- I know it's hard, especially if you have to get up and go to work in the morning -- but the more nursing and pumping you do at night, the better for your milk supply. Your body is more responsive to the hormones in the middle of the night.

Your little boy is so lucky to have a momma who is dedicated enough and loves him enough to do all this extra work to give him breastmilk. Hang in there -- drugs and herbs aren't necessary, as the name of the game really is about increasing the demand on your breasts, so they will increase the supply. If you have weaned completely to formula, then it may take roughly as many days or weeks as you have not been nursing, to bring your supply up all the way to his needs again. So be patient and just keep at it day in and day out -- you'll see progress if you stick with it.

You might also want to post on the Relactation board for more advice and encouragement.

--Rebecca

The more you put the baby on the breast the more milk will be produced ... it may take a day or so. You can also try Mother's Milk the herbal tea. Best of Luck you can do it!
    Anjali

I know you said you do not want to take any herbal medications so please disregard my post if you want. But I have to share my experience with fenugreek because I am amazed that it works so well. Twice with my daughter (almost 6 months) I have felt that my milk supply was not adequate for her. She has reflux and doesn't nurse often enough, then decides suddenly that she wants more and so of course the milk is not there. So I have taken fenugreek, 1 capsule 3 times a day, and within 24 hrs there has been a noticeable increase in my supply. I have not had to take it for more than 4 days either time and have not noticed side effects as long as I eat with it. Also, she is very sensitive to anything that I eat and the fenugreek has not affected her at all.