Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Balanced Nutrition

Unhappy Balanced Nutrition

Hello All,

My DD is 13 months. We have had low iron levels and now with a mixture of bmilk and formula her levels have been rising steadily. I recieve WIC and it has been a financial blessing and in her case a medical help. My dilemma is unless I get a "precription " from her doctor stating she needs formula, they will only issue her cows milk.

I am still to this day uncomfortable with formula and cows milk. I do know that cows milk can cause anemia and that is a problem for me because the majority of her diet is liquid IYKWIM...

I do not feel comfortable at all with this situation. I feel like I will be carrying a quart and half worth of cows milk a day for her to drink and that can not be healthy.

How do I get her to eat more food? I offer everything that I eat and she will only eat 'to snack' not eat to be satisfied. This is all new to me being first time mother and my sister (20) is watching my DD while I work.

She is a bit "green" when it comes to babies and their emotions so not only do I need to make a smooth transition for my daughter but for her day care providers. On top of it all she is teething, 4 on top and 2 on the bottom ---with more nubs on the way.

I just feel a bit lost. Any advice? How will I know that she is eating enough to grow and thrive? I know she will take care of hunger cues. But she is still not sleeping through the night. The largest time frame of sleep is 3 hours and then evey hour to hour 1/2.

BTW she eats chicken , beans, rice , grapes, watermelon, brocolli, carrots, spaghetti made with ground turkey, eggs, oatmeal, grits, salmon
    She doesnt like the jar food at all and will rasberry (spit) it all over you and anything near her.
    If she didnt reach for me at birth I still wouldn't believe that she's all mine.

Terrible 2s dont exist... Who am I kidding?!?

Default Re: Balanced Nutrition

DS's iron was a bit on the low side at 15 months, I wasn't confident that I could get him to eat enough iron rich foods, so I went with the drs recommendation to give Poly-vi-sol with iron. The drops are gross, but after a couple of weeks, he got used to them and started asking for them after meals. After a couple of months, his levels were acceptable and I think (and so does the dr) that we can keep them there with diet (dry fortified cereal, turkey, watermelon, etc). It looks like she eats some foods that have good amounts of iron, so as she eats more, diet might do the trick.

Is there a reason your doctor won't write a script for formula since she has low levels? I agree that continuing to push the iron-rich foods should help.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I dont believe that the doctor wont write the prescription. I just would like it if I could fix the issue more naturally. if that makes any sense

I feel my DD needs to learn that food is a good thing and less of a play thing. If I feed her directly from my hand she will eat but in her high chair its a mess.

I think I might be asking for too much. I see the toddler premade food trays and She eats no where near that much in one day, and the box says that its suppose to be A SERVING.

She is not getting as much breast milk as she did before and I want her to rely on food and not liquid (formula) for her nutrition. But I can feel the struggle approaching. Even though she can't speak I can hear the voice "You better give me a bottle or else.... no sleep for the both of us..."

I have pumped her entire life...now I feel that she wont eat because of its (bottle) comforts.

What to do?
    If she didnt reach for me at birth I still wouldn't believe that she's all mine.

Terrible 2s dont exist... Who am I kidding?!?

Only you can know if it really is a problem or not. I do not know your particular circumstances. I just wanted to say that our serving sizes are usually a little distorted. We think servings are more than they actually should be! My DD is given what they consider the toddler size serving of food at daycare (table food). She attempts to eat about half of it. About a fourth of it actually gets into her mouth. The rest is usually on the floor . I remember reading somewhere (but I could not find the link again) that the rule of thumb (which I am sure differs for each child) is that for each year of age add one Tablespoon for each thing served. So, a one year old should have 1 Tablespoon of each item you are eating. A Two year old should have 2 Tablespoons and so on.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Hi there! Here are a couple of suggestions off the top of my head. They are just suggestions - may or may not fit with your LO's temperament/your parenting or nutrition philosophies. For my DS, we needed to go to having more of routine/schedule around mealtimes for him to really start to eat. Now, I know for many kids snacking/grazing throughout the day works great and there are many benefits to doing this, BUT for some children (like mine ) more regular mealtimes worked better. We also had meals be in the same place, with a similar set up, etc. Once he was eating a decent variety of foods, I started giving food first, followed by nursing, rather than the other way around.

I think I recall reading in "My Child Won't Eat" (in which the basic philosophy is that children will eat as much as they need to eat if you just stop interfering ) that you may want to limit milk (be it breast, cow, formula, etc.) to around 18 ounces or less a day or the child won't likely be hungry for much other food.

As a pp stated, I think our concept of portions is probably distorted. It's probably not good to base our concept of how much a child should be eating on the packaging of companies trying to sell you food, kwim? I think most young toddlers probably eat pretty small portions. I've heard that tablespoon reference as well.

Finally, how about trying some beef? I know, many people don't include red meat in their concept of a healthy diet, but it does have lots of iron (more than other meats) as well as many great vitamins/minerals. I was raised a meat eater-can't help it . Seriously, though, if you aren't opposed to meat/red meat, it is the highest level and most easily absorbable type of iron.