Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green Poop and Rotavirus!

Default Green Poop and Rotavirus!

Like many of you, my LO has been experiencing frequent green poops this last week. I called the ped this morning and apparently they are seeing cases of rotavirus earlier this year than usual. It is associated with fever, nausea, and abdominal cramps. The risk is dehydration so count those wet dipes! The poop is baby's version of diarrhea, which I had learned from multiple sources, and their suggestion confirmed what I'd thought - it is viral. Though, it was complicated to isolate the factors.

I indulged in some (OK a lot of ) ice cream the week before last and this coincided with some serious spit ups that preceded our green poop phase. Sounds a bit like allergies, right? Well, then I read this about rotavirus: "The incubation period ranges from 1-3 days. Symptoms often start with vomiting followed by 4-8 days of diarrhea. Temporary lactose intolerance may occur." Sheesh! So complicated. At least I have been BFing long enough to know it wasn't a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance but with so many factors, what is a mommy to think?!

Our pediatrician recommended offering 1/2 capful of "Culturelle" (sp?) probiotic per 1 oz. breastmilk in a bottle 2 x/day. (I'm sure any probiotic would do, Culturelle is the brand they give to infants at the local hospital.) Apparently this is supposed to cut the length of the infection in half - from 2 weeks to 1 week. Also SERIOUS HAND WASHING is needed.

Default Re: Green Poop and Rotavirus!

I thought my lo got a vaccine for that?? Do you know if yours did??
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

we give an occasional probiotic just because anyhow - and with me being on abx this past week, we've given DS a does every day just to help with a potential of digestive disruption... works great IMO!

Children receiving a vaccine for it may stil aquire it... especially if its before the full series is given. :tumbsup
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

We didn't get a vaccine for this one. Not sure if she's too young or if it's something we (and/or the doc) opted against. Yeah, they really sing the praises of infant probiotics around these parts.

The vaccine for this is relatively new - it's actually ingested (not a shot). After my dd#1 got this from daycare (no vaccine at the time) and it lasted over a week and left her temporarily lactose intolerant, we decided since dd#1 was going to be in daycare, too, we'd get this for Audrey. She has one more booster to go, I think. From what I understand, lo's who get the vaccine can still get rotovirus, but not as severe of a case. Also, I read one estimate that (before vaccine, I think, but not sure) 90% of kids under 5 years old get rotovirus even if NOT in daycare. This one is highly contageous, and really nasty.

Amy

Green poop doesn't necessarily indicate rota virus. When it is rota virus the poop smells extra extra extra gross. How does your baby's poop smell?

I'm told it smells. (I have a very weak sense of smell so I can't say myself.) It was a dramatic shift. For 3.5 months she's been a reliable one-large-yellow-BM-per-day kinda kid. Then, overnight she switched to 6-10 BMs per day and they were all green - ranging from deep forest to bright lime. It's lasted more than a week. While she's still alert, she has been a little fussy and less "talkative" than usual. Apparently it's going around the daycare that she attends. Also, our pediatrician has seen 3 cases now. I was pretty confident that it was viral and what the ped said confirmed it. The only other thing I could think of was teething (she's been drooling a lot lately and chewing her hands). But after more than a week and ZERO let up in the super frequent green stools I'm thinking it's more than that. I'm quite confident it's not an allergy or a foremilk issue. However, if you have any thoughts, I'd definitely be interested to hear them. Thanks.