Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in the process of switching bf to ff?

Question Anyone in the process of switching bf to ff?

I know wrong forum for this question. But there has to someone who has been to the point.

I am back the idea of stopping bf. Dh told me I need to stop if I am going to behave the way I did yesterday (long hard story).

Anywho, if I switch do I need to wean dd? She has been pretty close ebm since day one.

Anywho, the story lets say I am ashamed of my behavior yesterday. I was tired, not in a good mood, yelled at all the kids including dd2. Dd2 was feeding every hour on the hour since Friday plus once night time comes she does not sleep well. She wants to be held and she wakes screaming, sometimes coughing like she is going to puke, but instead nothing. She sleeps just fine in swing in the day. I just know for three nights she falls asleep at about 7pm until 12am then up until 6am and up at 7am until 9am. She does not sleep soundly I can look at her and she keeps opening her eyes.

Anywho losing sight of the post. Dh told me I need to stop bf and part of me wants to and part of says no because I like the weightless and saving money and I am a SAHM anywho so why not...KWIM. Plus, my whole family is waiting for me to stop and I do not want to give them the satifaction of me stopping. Dh got made at that reason and said we do not have time in our life to care what people above all family say or think about us.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: Anyone in the process of switching bf to ff?

It's a hard decission. But you have to do what is best for the WHOLE family. ITA with your DH! Forgot about what your family will say and just focus on you DD2. If bf is something you want to continue remember we are here to help and support you. But in the end, it's your decission
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Hi my friend I just do not know how you and other mom's do it. Work outstide the home and bf. I am to the point after my break down yesterday I am never leaving the house except for dr appt for the kids. I can not do it. I get stressed just going food shopping 5 min from my house. Last week I was fine and yesterday forget it. It was like the evil mom (more like tired) just took over.

I mean I was so proud myself for getting this far I was thinking about buy a PIS orginal so I can pump both breasts in 20min not 40min and build a supply up for when it is time for cereal.

Now, I am back on the fence thanks to one bad day.

FF will not necessarily remedy the issues you are having. She may space her feedings more with formula (maybe not every hour like she is now) but I think the pros of bf outweigh that con in my opinion. BF does get easier the longer you do it. The first 6-8 weeks are the hardest and you are almost through those! Have you tried techniques for keeping DD2 awake longer at the breast so she eats more per feeding so these may space her feedings out a little more? Things like switching sides when she stops nursing, changing diaper, lifting arm (which is like a lever for bf!)?

FF will not make her want to be held less. My DD was like that too. She wanted to be held constantly. We started co-sleeping at 3 months because she would wake up every time we put her down. I don't think that has anything to do with bf, though.

Know that I said all of that :

Anywho, if I switch do I need to wean dd?
    No. Lots of mothers use both bm and ff, especially if they go back to work. However, it is a slippery slope once you start formula. Formula will also hurt your supply. The first several weeks is when your supply is being established.

I just know for three nights she falls asleep at about 7pm until 12am then up until 6am and up at 7am until 9am. She does not sleep soundly I can look at her and she keeps opening her eyes.
    How many naps is she taking during the day? Does she have her nights and days confused? 7 pm seems a little early to me to go to sleep. Maybe push back her bedtime then you might have those 5 hours she is asleep to sleep yourself!

If you can make it through the first couple of months it really does get easier. Hang in there!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Why not try both..choose certain times of the day you want to give a bottle.
    I have four children and I know how hard it is and I have been in your shoes, In fact its a little scary how close your situation is to mine. My husband is always telling me that I have bf long enough and to stop if I am so stressed but I want to bf for two reasons, she is my last and I love it(sometimes) and because my family didn't think Icould do it. But because of supply issues I have had to go to about 2 bottles a day. I still nurse at each feeding but then I feed her a bottle. It works well and it gives me a little breather and I feel less stressed. BF is great but there is nothing wrong with supplementing if you need to.

She normally sleeps from 9am-ish until 11ish and nurses for about 10min. Then she rests while I get lunches ready for dd1 and ds. Then by the time lunch is done and the kids are down she is ready eat again at 12 - 1230 for about 20min then sleeps from 1pm-ish until 230pmish. Then everyone is up and she eats again at 230pm and would take a nap from 3pm until 430pm to nurse until 5ish and then again at 6pm and 7pm and out for the count from 7 - 8ish until 10pm or midnight and then starts up again. This was her routine until Friday when she started eatting every hour. Which I count towards the 6 - 8 wks growth spurt.

I thought if I gave her ff I would be able to pump at her "normal" feedings and save the milk for furture use.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyonye View Post
    Why not try both..choose certain times of the day you want to give a bottle.
    I have four children and I know how hard it is and I have been in your shoes, In fact its a little scary how close your situation is to mine. My husband is always telling me that I have bf long enough and to stop if I am so stressed but I want to bf for two reasons, she is my last and I love it(sometimes) and because my family didn't think Icould do it. But because of supply issues I have had to go to about 2 bottles a day. I still nurse at each feeding but then I feed her a bottle. It works well and it gives me a little breather and I feel less stressed. BF is great but there is nothing wrong with supplementing if you need to.
    I am so glad you posted. dd2 might be my last as well.

After nursing how much formula would you give her? I have no supply issues may hind & fore milk issues not too sure but she is growing and gaining so I am not too worried I guess. I was thinking a bottle at the end of her day and one in the middle of the night. Dh wants me to ff when we go out, but I can not do that I get too engorged if she goes 4hrs with out nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by mom23cuties View Post
    I thought if I gave her ff I would be able to pump at her "normal" feedings and save the milk for furture use.
    You have to decide what is best for you and your family

I am not for sure why you would want to do this, though. I work full time so I have to pump but I can tell you I would much rather nurse than pump. Nursing is a much more efficient way of removing milk than pumping too. What are you saving the milk for? When she starts solids, you can always mix that with water so I personally would let her have all the bm she can take now. Only you can decide what is best for your family though. Good luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by mom23cuties View Post
    I was thinking a bottle at the end of her day and one in the middle of the night. Dh wants me to ff when we go out, but I can not do that I get too engorged if she goes 4hrs with out nursing.

if you do give formula in the mid of the night, you might wake up engorged. ugh.....plus unless dh is going to do it, who wants to get up and do all that work?

it does get better she is still so little...seems like all they do is go through growth spurt after growth spurt after growth spurt! when ds was real little he was up, wide awake and cooing at 2am. being cute! in the middle of the night! as soon as i got him to sleep up woke ds1. we watched wayyyyy to much tv in the beginning

as pp said formula may do nothing for your situation or it may help. I was thinking if it doesn't help, another idea might be to see if someone can take you other dc for a few hours so you can get some much needed rest with the baby

having other kids home makes it more stressful. So I totally understand. And by no means is anyone trying to make you continue to bf. They are just telling you formula may not solve the issues you are having. She is still a little sweet baby that wants mommies attention! Stay encouraged sweety... I am looking forward to the better days and you can too! Plus one more week to your next goal!!!!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)