Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shooting pain in nipple

Default Shooting pain in nipple

Since Saturday night I have had a shooting pain in my nipple. It is so sensitive that even the slightest touch hurts. I don't know what happened to make it so sore. Could it be thrush? I don't see any white patches in my son's mouth, so I don't know if that could be it. I just don't understand why it hurts so bad.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Default Re: Shooting pain in nipple

I had this hapen with my last baby and it turned out to be a crack in my nipple that I couldn't see. I didn' know it was a crack until baby spit up and it had some blood in it. I called the dr. worried and they said it was not harmful for him. It seems like I remember what I did was to nurse on the other side first at each feeding. Then I alternated using a nipple shield every other feeding or when the pain was unbearable. Took about a week or two to get better that way.
    Maybe someone else will have more advice or ideas about what else can cause this.

My daughter and I have had thrush twice. The first time she had a couple of small white patches and my nipples hurt the same way you described. The second time, my LO didn't have any white spots in her mouth, but the LC was pretty sure it was still thrush, based on the pain in my nipples. It was shooting pains in my left nipple and a bit higher in that breast as well. The more painful part was that my nipples became so incredibly sensitive that even brushing against them or putting my bra on was very painful. My nipples were also pinkish. If you're not sure, you may want to have your doctor or a LC look at them. We treated with gentian violet and something called All Purpose Nipple Ointment (both of which were recommended by my LC.) The gentian violet gave some relief within a day and I was THRILLED. (It's a very messy purple medicine that stains, but it was definitely worth it.) If you look up thrush on this site, they have some info. Also, my LC gave me a bunch of articles from a Dr. Jack Newman, who is apparently an authority on breastfeeding issues. You might want to search for some of his articles.
    I hope it's not thrush, but if it is, treat it quickly and thoroughly and you'll feel better soon!

I have had the same problem. My lc said that it could be vasospasms. I was instructed to use a heating pad set on low for five minutes after breastfeeding. It seems to help