Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Raisins?

Default Raisins?

At what age did you introduce raisins? I think I read somewhere to delay them because they are a choking hazard but I can't find the info now.

Thanks!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Default Re: Raisins?

I posted a question about raisins a few months ago. I have also heard they are choking hazard. I`ve been giving them to ds since he was about 7-8 months old. They taste great in oatmeal or just as a snack. I just cut them up in real small pieces so they wouldn`t get stuck on his throat.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

my sil is an emt, and currently in medic school. She said baby's trachea is just slightly bigger than a string of spagetti... and the esophigus (sp) is around straw size (but it streatches some)...
    So I would think yes, definatley a choking hazard.

We introduced raisins at 17 mos. We know DS swallows them whole b/c they come out the other end as grapes! So, not sure he's getting any nutrition from them but he loves them.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

We started giving raisins at about 11 months. I don't cut them up or anything, and dd has no problems with them and loves them. I do watch her closely when she's eating, though and she already has all of her premolars, so she's pretty good at chewing things up really well. If you are concerned about choking, you could cut them in half or quarters.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I would definitely wait until after the year point because of all the added sugar. Dried fruits in general are extremely sweetened and lose much of their nutrients due to the processing. I would feed fresh grapes until at least a year. (Also raisins are really the MOST disgusting sticky thing EVER in baby poop!)

Way too lazy for formula

I did not really think of the added sugar. Thanks! We have not offered grapes yet either because of the choking hazard. But, I probably could cut them first too.

Thanks everyone.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey's Mom View Post
    I did not really think of the added sugar. Thanks! We have not offered grapes yet either because of the choking hazard. But, I probably could cut them first too.

Thanks everyone.
    I slice the grapes into really thin pieces so that it won't be a choking hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey's Mom View Post

Thanks everyone.
    I just cut them in half until the year point. If you are really nervous, quartering them should make you feel safe! HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

We started rasins at about 1 year. DD gums them as she only has two front teeth. Sometimes they come out whole but usually I don't notice any. As for the sugar, I just make sure there is no added sugar as there seems to be enough in it without added any. And from what I hear natural sugar is better then added. I just watch her intake ... not too many and not every day. She loves them.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.