Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Combining with Formula Feeding

Default Combining with Formula Feeding

Hi,

A couple questions for those also doing formula feedings. My daughter is almost 6 months old, and I am wondering 1) do I need to move to Stage 2 nipples on her bottles? I don't like the sound of "Fast Flow" nipples; sounds like an express track to get her fed up with breastfeeding (and she's already kinda noticing that bf takes more effort!);

2) Any suggestions for keeping her interested in bf now that she has started solid foods? Between solids, and thumb sucking, and the fact that she has become a TON more active and mobile and easily distracted in the past month, she has a hard time settling down to bf these days. She used to LOVE to breastfeed and would have been happy to be on the breast 24/7. Even up to 5 months, she still loved it. But as soon as her first roll over, it started to change.

Now, she prefers the bottle because she can suck it down and then get on with her playtime. We switched to First Years BreastFlow bottles because they promote sucking similar to bf nursing, and also the baby really has to suck to get the milk, and they helped a bit, they were an improvement on her old bottles, but still...

If anyone has suggestions, I'd really appreciate them.

Default Re: Combining with Formula Feeding

I would probably continue to use the stage 1 breastflow nipples to keep it more challenging for her. That is what my girls use the two days a week I am at work and they are much more efficient with those than nursing. I wouldn't make it any easier for her so she can continue to get the benefits of breastfeeding!

ITA with PP, continue with the stage 1 nipples.

Nurse as often as your LO will allow, instead of giving bottles when you're together. A nursing necklace may help, I've seen plenty of people mention theirs and how helpful it's been to keep an easily distracted baby much less distracted.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

I am with pps stage one nipples until she gets too frustraded, IMO
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

What I did was designate certain times of day as the times I would give the bottle and I gave those bottles consistently. The rest of the time was nursing time and bottles weren't even offered.

She did get more efficient as she got more mobile. We went from nursing sessions that lasted upwards of an hour when she was newborn to 5-10 minutes at 8 months. She could really get the milk down when there was something more interesting to do.

It really depends on why you're giving formula. If you're doing it because you're working, it's easy to say she gets a bottle at 10 and 2. To keep your supply going you really have to be determined to nurse the rest of the time.

Thanks, everyone. I will try these. I have not been firm about not offering formula if she rejects the breast, because I hate seeing her hungry, but maybe I have to deal with that and see if she will cave before I cave!

Also, I love the idea of a nursing necklace! She loves necklaces anyway, so that is an awesome suggestion.

Thanks so much to everyone for the suggestions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamiesmommy View Post
    Hi,

A couple questions for those also doing formula feedings. My daughter is almost 6 months old, and I am wondering 1) do I need to move to Stage 2 nipples on her bottles? I don't like the sound of "Fast Flow" nipples; sounds like an express track to get her fed up with breastfeeding (and she's already kinda noticing that bf takes more effort!);

2) Any suggestions for keeping her interested in bf now that she has started solid foods? Between solids, and thumb sucking, and the fact that she has become a TON more active and mobile and easily distracted in the past month, she has a hard time settling down to bf these days. She used to LOVE to breastfeed and would have been happy to be on the breast 24/7. Even up to 5 months, she still loved it. But as soon as her first roll over, it started to change.

Now, she prefers the bottle because she can suck it down and then get on with her playtime. We switched to First Years BreastFlow bottles because they promote sucking similar to bf nursing, and also the baby really has to suck to get the milk, and they helped a bit, they were an improvement on her old bottles, but still...

If anyone has suggestions, I'd really appreciate them.

what is a nursing necklace? Is it just a reg. necklace you wear all the time for the baby. Is it a "special" necklace? I am really interested.

Never mind I did a quick search thanks ^_~

I'm not sure if other mom's here make them, but Lori makes wonderful ones. She stops by here, she's got a thread in the For Sale forums. I the nursing necklace she made for us!

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

I would suggest:
    *stay on stage one nipples as long as possible
    *pace baby's bottle feedings (bottle should be horizontal so that milk flows slower, stop to burp, stop to switch sides, ect)
    * try to keep bottle fairly stationary, vs allowing baby to take bottle with her as she looks around the room (a baby can't take the breast with her to look around, like she could with a bottle)

Here's some more tips:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html