Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what are good vitamin drops to give a breastfed baby?

Default Re: what are good vitamin drops to give a breastfed baby?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyPeter View Post
    I was told the only Vitamin the baby doesn't get through breasmilk is Vit D. I give a Vit D drop, but found out through the doctor that if the baby gets 5 minutes in the sun a day (only diaper on) or 10 minutes in the sun (with face and hands exposed), they will get their daily dose of Vit D naturally. *Sitting them in the sunny window does not count*.
    Also, I was told that a baby is born with enough iron in his system from pregnancy to last them about 6 months (that's why they recommend solids starting about then). Unless your doctor has recommended something special for a particular reason, I wouldn't add anything extra.

Doctors that recommend it probably take the "what harm could it do?" approach but really that extra iron can be very harmful to a bf babies guts and decrease the immunological effects of bf.
    FWIW I really like my pedi but even I did not follow his advice on this.

Quote Originally Posted by madeline View Post
    My doc recommended a multivitamin with iron at our 1 month visit. He said he recommends it for all breast-fed babies, especially as winter approaches, since breast-fed babies are at risk for rickets (low vit D).

We decided to get it (Enfamil makes one that is over the counter). I tasted it last night, and it's nasty... reminds me of those chewable Flinstones vitamins from when I was a kid. DD didn't seem to like it either. She spit most of it out.
    Tri-vi-sol or Poly-vi-sol without iron contains vitamin D if rickets is the concern. There is a Vit. D only product but I've heard it's not available in the US (weird). But as pp said, the iron is unnecessary for bf babies until at least 6 mos.
    We actually tried giving my DD Poky-vi-sol once and she projective vomited it. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
    i talked to a different dr/pediatrician about vitamins and they recommended one with iron as well. they had never heard of any studies that contraindicate using iron drops for breastfed babies. so i am not sure what to do now, as 2 dr's have suggested ones with iron?!?!
    Like I said, I strongly believe that pedis are not keeping up on the latest research on this and taking a misquided "better safe than sorry" approach. Why give your baby something that is unnecessary and possibly harmful?
    You have to do what you feel is right but this is just MHO.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

My lo was 2 months early so when we brought her home from special care at 3 weeks, we were told to give her vitamins. We've been using the poly vi sol which is not a prescription. I give it to her about 3 times a week rather than every day because I try to eat healthy and take my prenatals. Glad this thread was posted because now that she is 3 mo's old and 8 lbs 4 oz, I may reconsider the vitamins for a few more months.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Dyno-mite View Post
    My lo was 2 months early so when we brought her home from special care at 3 weeks, we were told to give her vitamins. We've been using the poly vi sol which is not a prescription. I give it to her about 3 times a week rather than every day because I try to eat healthy and take my prenatals. Glad this thread was posted because now that she is 3 mo's old and 8 lbs 4 oz, I may reconsider the vitamins for a few more months.
    Aw, Alyssa is so cute! There are probably special considerations for a premie, although I have no experience with that. Maybe now that she's "caught up" you could stop the vits. I believe they can check her iron levels for you if you ask.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

We haven't given our DS any vitamins and the pedi never recommended giving him any either.

Our ped only recommended vitamins with iron after six months and only if she wasn't eating enough fortified foods - like cereal - since she is still bf'ing. I use the poly-vi-sol or whatever it's called from Enfamil with iron. I only give it to her about every other day or so. Now, she is eating more cereal and I'm going to cut to 2 times per week. Prior to 6 months, I did not give her vitamins.

amy