Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what are good vitamin drops to give a breastfed baby?

Default what are good vitamin drops to give a breastfed baby?

my DS is almost 3 months old and i am wondering what vitamin drops would be good for him? the dr prescribed some with iron, but after reading about iron and breastfed babies, i don't want to give them to baby. does anyone else have some good/healthy suggestions for vitamins drops for DS at this age? thanks!

Default Re: what are good vitamin drops to give a breastfed baby?

We give Thomas Poly-Vi-Sol without iron. We've been giving it to him since he was a couple of months old in a bottle of expressed breast milk and have never had any problems.

is that prescription only? and if so, why on earth are infant vitamins prescription only? that doesn't make sense to me?!?

We've given none.

Part of this decision was made based on some of the information provided here. :tumbsup
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I was told by my doctor that if I'm eating my fruits and veggies...and taking my pre-natals, they'll get passed onto baby and I won't need to give vits until they are done breastfeeding.

Why did your doc prescribe iron drops? Is there something more to the visit?

Quote Originally Posted by caldangel View Post
    I was told by my doctor that if I'm eating my fruits and veggies...and taking my pre-natals, they'll get passed onto baby and I won't need to give vits until they are done breastfeeding.

Why did your doc prescribe iron drops? Is there something more to the visit?

Ditto, I only give him drops when I have forgotten to take my prenatals. I use Tri-vi-sol. Recommended for bf babies. It is not a Rx.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I give Vit D drops but apperently that is only needed in babies who live in more northern areas with less sun (Although I find Ontario Canada very sunny My doc said that I should use them) They are not perscription. I would talk to your doc before giving any vitamins as you don't want to overdue it and if the baby is getting enough from the breastmilk it could cause more problems then it would help. I know too much of certian vitimins can be bad for the kidneys, cause stones ect. in adults So I wouldn't want to risk it with babies.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

I was told the only Vitamin the baby doesn't get through breasmilk is Vit D. I give a Vit D drop, but found out through the doctor that if the baby gets 5 minutes in the sun a day (only diaper on) or 10 minutes in the sun (with face and hands exposed), they will get their daily dose of Vit D naturally. *Sitting them in the sunny window does not count*.
    Also, I was told that a baby is born with enough iron in his system from pregnancy to last them about 6 months (that's why they recommend solids starting about then). Unless your doctor has recommended something special for a particular reason, I wouldn't add anything extra.

My doc recommended a multivitamin with iron at our 1 month visit. He said he recommends it for all breast-fed babies, especially as winter approaches, since breast-fed babies are at risk for rickets (low vit D).

He also said that he didn't care if we decided to not give the vitamin. It wasn't that big of a deal.

We decided to get it (Enfamil makes one that is over the counter). I tasted it last night, and it's nasty... reminds me of those chewable Flinstones vitamins from when I was a kid. DD didn't seem to like it either. She spit most of it out. I breastfed her right afterwards to help her get the taste out of her mouth! We'll try mixing a few drops into her EBM bottles.

i talked to a different dr/pediatrician about vitamins and they recommended one with iron as well. they had never heard of any studies that contraindicate using iron drops for breastfed babies. so i am not sure what to do now, as 2 dr's have suggested ones with iron?!?!