Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does refrigerated last at room temp?

Question How long does refrigerated last at room temp?

I scalded my BM and placed it in storage bags. I then put it in the fridge. If I'm going out of the house with my LO, can it warm to room temp (if I put it in my diaper bag) and still be safe for her to drink? If so, how long can it go at room temp if it was previously refrigerated?

I want to take my pumped milk with us when we head to the doctors tomorrow. I've always just brought formula just incase she got hungry.

I'm not brave enough to BF in public yet, even though I just bought one of those gorgeous nursing shawls from www.breastmilk.com. It's hard for me to see her to help her latch on correctly.

Thanks!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Default Re: How long does refrigerated last at room temp?

Quote Originally Posted by bowser625 View Post
    I scalded my BM and placed it in storage bags.

What do you mean by scalded?

Micah Mateo 10 months old
    And my angel Tyler born and passed 3/3/06

in a previous post of mine, i was having troubles getting my LO to drink my EBM. someone suggested scalding it so it doesn't absorb the smells in the fridge. i read about it several times as well.
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

STORAGE GUIDELINES FOR HUMAN MILK

These guidelines are for mothers who are expressing milk for a full-term healthy baby. Use clean containers, and wash your hands with soap and water before expressing. or pumping. When providing milk for a baby who is seriously ill and/or hospitalized, check with healthcare providers for instructions.
    Where stored Storage temperature
    (degrees Fahrenheit) Storage temperature
    (degrees Centigrade) How long
    At room temperature 60 degrees F 15 degrees C 24 hours
    At room temperature 66-72 degrees F 19-22 degrees C 10 hours
    At room temperature 79 degrees F 25 degrees C 4-6 hours
    In a refrigerator 32-39 degrees F 0-4 degrees C 8 days
    In a freezer compartment inside a refrigerator 2 weeks
    In a self-contained freezer unit of a refrigerator 3-4 months
    In a separate deep freeze with a constant temperature 0 degrees F -19 degrees C 6 months or longer
    SAVE? OR DUMP?
    Type of Milk Save or Dump? Why
    Milk remaining in the bottle that has been offered to baby Use for next feeding, otherwise discard. Bacteria from the baby's mouth may have entered the milk during the feeding. This may lead to bacterial contamination if it sets too long (though as yet there is no research available).
    Milk that has been thawed Save in the refrigerator for 24 hours after thawing, then discard. Do not refreeze. Milk that has been frozen has lost some of the immune properties that inhibit bacterial growth in fresh refrigerated milk.
    Milk that has been kept in the refrigerator for eight days Transfer to storage in the freezer, or discard. Bacterial growth is not a problem, but milk sometimes picks up odors or flavors from the refrigerator or the container.

If you go to dr. sear's website under breastfeeding there is a whole passle of info to read.