Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does it take your older lo to BF?

Default How long does it take your older lo to BF?

DD is 9 months old & it always takes her at least 45 to nurse. Lately it has been much longer since she now sees it as a "game". She sucks for 30 seconds, unlatches, rolls across the bed, laughs at me, then starts crying, climbs back to my chest, latches on and repeats. Sometimes she will do the above, but instead of rolling away, she looks at me, smiles & starts wiggling. If I put the boob away, she starts crying. She wants it on her terms. Great, a 9 month old control freak. With that being said, when she does focus on eating, we are lucking to be done in 45 minutes. When she plays, it last much, much longer. I thought as she got older, this would go by faster. Was I wrong?

How long does your lo usually nurse per session?

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Default Re: How long does it take your older lo to BF?

When my DD (13months) actually nurses, usually the first feed in the morning, sometimes the second. Its like 15 min on both breasts. In the afternoon and night its like your little one. She thinks I'm an all you can eat buffet thats open all night. She drinks, plays drinks some more, pops off and like yours throws a fit if I put them away. I find if I go somewhere quiet, no tv or noise she usually is better, but still takes about 20-30 min. Sometimes I switch sides as one is more full and she seems to settle down a little more. Some days I just put them away she usally cries for a min or two then finds something else to play with or drinks some more and we start the cycle over. I think this is the beginning of not eating as they have other things to do. Too bad you can't say "20 more sucks and then you can go" It usually works with my 4 year old niece during dinner if you say "2 more bites"
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

My DD gets down to business. When she nurses, it's 15 minutes for both sides tops. When she tries to stop to play, I ask her if she's done. She'll usually come back and finish. If not, I put them away and that's it, whether she gets upset or not. She learned real quick that when I ask if she's done, if she's not, she'd better get serious, or she's gonna have to do without for a while. Definitely not something I would have done when she was smaller, but she's 10 mos. old now, and I don't want to start encouraging that kind of behavior, KWIM? Perhaps if you try waiting your LO out a time or two she might get the idea? Just an idea though. My LO always has been a chug-a-lugger, so I may not be any help!

Sounds exactly like my daughter, it takes her forever. She rolls away, fusses, and rolls back and latches back on and laughs. She finds it funny, I am glad she does b/c I don't, lol.

My son is 17 months and he still frequently nurses through-out the day on again off again on his own terms.